iPad iPad mini delayed a full size iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, May 28, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Do you think them releasing a slimmer ipad mini has delayed the full size one being slimmed down?

2. tazz3 macrumors regular

Apple has 2 teams working on each tablet.so the mini is not holding up the newer ipad

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They released the iPad mini and the iPad 4 at the same time last year so designing the first mini didn't impact the regular iPad any.

4. daywiz macrumors regular

I don't think a slimmer ipad mini (2nd gen is coming)..it might remain the same or grow negligibly thicker

I think because they want to release both of them together again, they are holding up the fifth gen full size ipad inorder to get the mini 2nd gen ready.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Actually the hold up in this case is most likely iOS 7.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Though I don't think there is a hold up as of yet, I would think they would reserve shipment until iOS 7 as well.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Maybe by choice, but not by necessity. They could easily release iOS7 and then ship the iPads later.

8. daywiz macrumors regular

But don't you think its unnecessary as, the iPhone is definitely going to be the first device with the new iOS out in that case, causing the iPads to become even more delayed then necessary. Even with the iphone 5S, not going to make too much drastic physical changes ( outward design) compared to the 5, its still going to confuse a a large segment whether to go for the iPhone or the iPad ( as they may prefer to have both).

The iPad sales have been dipping rapidly, and its going to continue to hurt Apple as a majority of people are going to hold off their purchases till the Fall.

i think they should go ahead and announce atleast the 9.7" iPad at WWDC and launch it with iOS 6 in July, and then roll out the iOS 7 as they release it in Sept. the ipad mini event can be coupled to maybe the laptop announcements in Oct.

9. Che Castro macrumors 603

The iphone comes first & it will probably have the A7 processor

There not going to release a new ipad with the same 6x chip

So you won't see a new ipad before the new iphone this year

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, they just decided they will release all their iOS products in the fall, close to the Christmas season, rather than having them spread around the year. If they had wanted to keep to an iPad release in the Spring, they wouldn't have made the iPad 4, and used the resources they spent on making that to make a thinner iPad for a Spring release.

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

The Mini 2 will be light and portable but how much more than rumors of the iPad 5 remains to be seen. The bigger iPad 5 screen would be my choice if the rumors pan out.

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

No, it would most likely be screen and processor technology that is holding up a slimmer full sized iPad.

The main component that dictates the size of the iPad (besides the screen itself of course) is the battery. The extra backlight required by the retina display is what caused the iPad's battery to grow from the iPad 2 to the 3rd gen.

To slim the full sized iPad back down will require a new screen technology, like Sharp's new IGZO displays, that require less backlight power at high pixel densities.