iPad mini iPad Mini dents

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wuiffi, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

So over 1 week ago I received my retina Mini (spacegrey, 16GB Wifi) and it had 2 dents on the backside

[​IMG]

Right now, I got the replacement and ....
    it has the same dents on exactly the same places ....
    Anyone of you guys had any issues like this?!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, if you getting the same dents in the same place with two different iPads, could it be how you're handling it?

3. Wuiffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

dents are there from the beginning. saw it both times right at unboxing... (there are 2 ipad 2 and 1 air in my family and none has any dents etc)

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That sounds like the same Apple QC guy dropped it on the same spot twice. :p

5. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Children can become clumsy around 11/12 years old, never mind those who work 14 hours a day at a foxconn factory:p

6. Jalu macrumors member

Could this be the spot where the iPad sits on top of the power supply in the box?

7. matthewadams macrumors regular

Happened to me. Same positions too. Sent it back, got one in the store and opened it there..the plastic wrapping of the new one had scuff marks at the same position but the iPad itself was fine,,..

8. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Looks like a dodgy piece of kit on the assembly lines causing this.

9. Wuiffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

what I thought first too, but no it's not.

So it's not just the once they send to me that have the issue

Yeah, pretty uncool (I mean the chance that I get 2 of those devices means, that probably a lot of devices are affected)

Btw. I called AppleCare and they said they would send a new one, but I asked if there wasn't another way, cause it's kinda strange (3 devices for 1 little problem). So probably I am going to get a SmartCase (imo that's a great deal, because I am not going to sell the device - resell value doesn't matter)

10. matthewadams macrumors regular

Yeah, I feel you.
    They actually sent me a replacement when I called in, but I later figured I wouldnt wanna wait and risk it, so I went to a shop which actually had one in stock and returned the replacement unopened when it arrived.

With the space between the Pad and the charger to little, it could either have happened on the assembly lines (e.g. someone or something pressing it down to hard) or during transport.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

12. J.A macrumors newbie

Sorry to bump this thread but i had to post here...

I got my package with my Ipad Mini Retina 32gb yesterday. The only thing i did was to boot it up and use it for about 10-15 min.

Today when i came home from work i started a FaceTime call and i felt some dents on the backside. I called "Three" in Sweden where i bought it and they ofc told me that it is hard to prove when it happend due to there was NO marks on the package at all.

She said she would talk to the complaint department and call me on Monday.

Check the Pictures, exactly the same dents as yours :(

Attached Files:

13. blarivee macrumors 6502

Edit: Old thread response. J.A., you might have better luck having Apple replace it than through Three. Although you should keep in mind if you exchange with Apple, the serial number will no longer match your receipt from 3. Make sure you're not going to refund with 3 before you go through AppleCare.

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Looks to me like the Foxcom people are pi$$ed.

I am sure that Apple has seen this many times and should replace the devices quickly

15. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

no dents on my ipad mini-not sure what would cause it-it is a used ipad right-not new from apple?

16. J.A macrumors newbie

My tablet is a new one directley from Three in Sweden. Not bought from Apple but they are a huge reseller for Apple.

Three Sweden:
    https://www.tre.se/

Three UK
    http://www.three.co.uk/

Lets see what they have to say on monday when they call me. I will show them this thread because my dents is on the exact spots as the guy that started this thread

17. Iamthinking macrumors regular

Try getting them to send you one with the free engraving. That way at least you'd probably get one without dents up to that point.

Iamthinking

18. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Ya sounds like you just had some bad luck and got one with a dent then-imsure they would be happy to replace it.

19. Wuiffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Yeah, those look exactly like my dents.

As I said I got 1 replacement which had exactly the same dents
    [​IMG]

apple offered another replacement but I asked for a Case, which they agreed on.

2 weeks later I got a Smartcover, so I called Apple. After a while on they phone they said it was a mistake on their side, they are going to send a Smart Case and I could keep the (unopened) Smartcase.

So I got a Case as well as a Cover for a small dent. I am not thinking about reselling so I'd say it's awesome (and I really love the case!)

20. Nozuka macrumors 65816

ah glad i am not the only unlucky one. just bought a new one yesterday with dents out of the box at the exact same spots... :(

21. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

It came out of the box like that? Hmmm I'd return that defective iPad for sure

22. Nozuka macrumors 65816

got replaced. thank god.

it's not as easy to get things replaced here in switzerland, that's why i was worried. if they say that i damaged the device i'm pretty much *****.

thankfully those 2 bumps looked identical and it would be hard to produce these by accident.

apple would probably have replaced it anyway, but i bought it at another store and i'm glad i don't have to go through all the trouble or wait for a replacement. and the apple store is far away..