iPad mini iPad Mini DisplayMate Screen Review

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dantay, Nov 18, 2013.

1. dantay macrumors regular

dantay

2. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Oh, we've seen it alright.

Pretty sad for such an expensive product.

3. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Wait, are you saying the COLOR GAMUT could be a problem?!?!!?!?!?

4. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

Welp better return mine that looks just fine and dandy to me.

5. dantay thread starter macrumors regular

dantay

Indeed, glad I got the Air! :apple:

----------

There's still time ;)

6. WashupDawg macrumors regular

Why is it that people has gone totally ******* over this gamut thing? It's the same as the original mini. To my knowledge the first mini was very well received despite low PPI.

To me it sounds like a bunch of sad losers who're trying to justify their purchase of the Air because they couldn't wait a couple of weeks to buy a tablet.

The gamut difference is not something you'll ever notice unless you use the Air and the Retina mini side by side. And how retarded would that be?

7. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

Using the Air and Mini next to each other there is nothing completely noticeable that jumps out and makes me want to cry.

Compared to my iPad 2 the screen is night and day difference in color/brightness on the mini.

8. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

Wow, kool-aid lover here. You can't see the difference is because you choose not too. People buy the iPad AIR is because the colors, the resolution is just outstanding and sure the iPad mini retina has the resolution pip advantage, but so does the nexus 7 but that device isn't being charged $400.

The original MINI was not appealing at all because apple recycled old stuff and resold for more money. This time around, they didn't do that but they cut corners because they think you iSheeps are stupid enough not to notice.

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

The nexus 7 has less pixel density, 1/2 the screen size and is not 64bit, doesnt have a motion sensor....etc....the mini is overpriced but its not that over priced. If the price was still $329 no one would be complaining.

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

-"Hi Honey! I'm home!"

-"Hey! Have you seen my iMini Pad?"

-"It's called an iPad dear. And I took it back to Apple because the Internet said it had a low Gambit. Here is your replacement iPad, the iPad Air! Much more Gambit."

-"Where's the MyFace icon? What happened to my Angry Words With Friends game?"

-"Oh you just have to restore those from the AppCloud."

---1 hour later---

-"OK sweetie, everything's been restored. Here you go!"

-"Wait a sec. This Pad isn't iMini! It's iHuge! This thing isn't going to fit in my purse, or on the nightstand. Why did you trade the good one for this beast?"

-"It's the AIR honey. Much more Gambit like I told you!"

-"Well it doesn't feel like AIR to me. It feels like LEAD. Take it back. I want my iMini."

-"But honey, the GAMBIT!"

-"What the hell is GAMBIT??"

**pulls out color space graph**

-"Well, see here, the little triangle shows the rainbow made by the Mini. The big triangle shows the rainbow made by the Air. Do you see how much bigger the Air rainbow is?"

-"Do YOU see how much bigger THE AIR is?"

-"Umm. Yes. But wouldn't you rather have a bigger rainbow?"

-"Go. Get my iMini Pad back here. Take the iSlab with you. And never say the word GAMBIT in this house again."

-"Yes dear."

11. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

323ppi vs 326ppi. A7 sure, I give them that, but games still stutter and the UI lag is there (although iOS 7 is the piece of s___). It's overpriced for me personally when i can spend $100 on a superior iPad AIR. Size yes, it's convenient but honestly it's still too small and i still have to zoom in on text.

But keeping on point, the point is apple gimped on the display. Pure and simple.

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

You have too much time on your hands. You need a hobby.

13. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I was so happy with my rMini until I read about this color gambut thing. Now I'm crying my eyes out and can barely see the screen through my tears.

14. WashupDawg macrumors regular

When tested individually, 99% of people probably wouldn't be able to distinguish between Retina Mini and the Air in terms of gamut.

The gamut outcry is laughable. I feel sorry for those who wanted the Retina mini due to form factor but then switched it for an Air because of a slightly noticeable difference in colors. Such people are truly victims of internet hypocrisy. Those are the real iSheep, following whoever yells the loudest.

15. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Says the person who tweets here every 15 seconds about buying/returning iPads. As if ANYONE cares. Hilarious.

"iPad Mini with Retina Display Returned!" 11/17
    "Now i have the rMini LTE in white waiting at the store." 11/15
    "Mini Return" 11/13
    "I hate to say this but the mini's screen is far and away better than the iPad Air's screen" 11/12
    I LOVE the big screen!!! 11/1

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

[​IMG]

Thank you for that. It was iHilarious... ;)

----------

I do to. It makes me sad. Some people actually come here for information, but then run into the big gamut wall. I hope they can see through the smoke screens and go take a look for themselves.

17. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

This story is gut wrenching. I wish you the best of luck in recovery. I've gathered from these threads the Retina Mini is worthless and does not accomplish any tasks you set out to do with it due to this color gambut spectrum.

18. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

Apple clearly wanted to use a panel with a lower gamut in the rMini for reasons only they know (cost, power consumption, whatever). If the display doesn't bother you and you don't care about the burnt-orange reds and lack of contrast/vibrancy, then enjoy your rMini and don't worry about those who are disappointed by it.

19. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I think Apple purposely reduced the color gamut on the rMini so it would give people something else to complain about instead of 1 GB of ram. Well played Apple.

20. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Lol. And the 1gb ram was just a smoke screen for the price increase.

21. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

1GB RAM? Price Increase? Bad Color!??!?!?

God I was taken to the cleaners :(

22. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Nope. I noticed it right away, and I do not have an iPad Air. Maybe it's because my iPhone has a better screen, but I didn't directly compare it until after I noticed it looked bad.

Actually the rMini has the same color gamut as the iPad 2, but yes the screen may be brighter and it is indeed sharper.

23. darngooddesign, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yeah, Apple sold hardly any of the original Minis. It sure was unappealing.

The only places Apple cut corners on the new Mini was the display and the RAM, everything else about it is a solid upgrade. That A7 sure is a second rate chip.

The thing is, while people might notice, if they don't use it for things where having the best screen matters then the screen doesn't matter than much. This isn't people being sheep, this is about the screen being less important than the rest of the benefits of the Mini.

If you need the best screen buy the Air.

Previously if someone needed the best screen they bought a MacBook Pro, not the iBook. They certainly didn't buy the iBook and then bitch about Apple gimping the screen. And that's on devices that cost twice what the iPads do.

24. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I guess I'm OK because I started with low expectations. Deep down I knew it couldn't compare with my HP Touchpad.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

How can it be a smoke screen if Apple never talks about it?