iPad mini doesn't have 3g or LTE? nonsense, here's why

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aleni, Oct 10, 2012.

1. aleni macrumors 68020

the biggest problem about the current iPad is it's too big to bring out of home everywhere, i know it's thin but it's not comfy to bring it out. for majority, the most use of an iPad is in the house.

so we need an iPad mini to bring it out more often and doesnt become a hassle when u go out, so it's non sense if it's wifi only.

if it's wifi only, and majority of usage will be in home, then why would i bother to buy a smaller iPad if only to use it at home for the most time.

discuss..

2. waa1futs macrumors 6502

I can see your point of view.

On one hand you have a more mobile tablet that you want to take with you and have data-on-the-go.

On the other hand you have a product geared towards a lower price point and might not have the budget in it's price to have an LTE radio.

Perhaps they have an option for the mini like they do with the regular iPad where you pay an extra $130 for this privilege of paying for data on the go?

Dunno if I like the word "nonsense" in your thread title though, sounds too harsh for my tastes.

3. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Apple isn't aiming for people who can afford an iPad 3 they are aiming for people who want the apple ecosystem and the apple name, but can't afford the iPad 3 price tag. To do this you have to give up a couple features.

4. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

3g variant would be nice aswell as a wifi only. You can still tether to your phone if you want data connection.

comes down to price and if apple want to compete with the nexus 7

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

Hmmm I am not so sure about that. My wife has an iPad 3, our young daughter has our old original iPad and I can afford an iPad 3 for myself. But I do not want to lug that thing around with me; I want something I can comfortablly hold on the train and read a book, listen to music, etc and take to the gym to enter my workout details and watch a video when on cardio. I also want something small I can use for a GPS when on the go.

I find the iPhone screen to small and annoying when wanting to really get something productive donw; its fine for simple tasks like email or text or occasional as needed web surfing; but something bigger is better, but not so big it is a PITA to lug around.

I had an original Kindle and loved it for its size and portability, hated it for other reasons; the Nexus 7 solves all the Kindle warts and an iPad mini could top the Nexus 7 depending on specs and price.

So the point of this long post is, I do not think the target market is just entry people, but there is a whole market of people who love the iPad concept, who perhaps love the iPhone concept, but want something in-between. Powerful yet portable.

6. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

plenty people who can afford ipad 3 dont buy one. Like me

overpriced for what you get and too big/heavy

7. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

The new iPad mini can't have all the options otherwise people will be less inclined to buy the iPad mini 2.

= bad marketing less profit.

Usual Apple drip drip feed......

8. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

for people who want the cheaper price, they can get an iPad 2 with reduced price.

9. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

I don't need LTE or 3G on the iPad. WiFi is practuically everywhere at malls, schools, work.

10. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

Me too,i hope will have a gps for my Tom Tom app.

----------

But,and i apologize because i'm repeating,cannot be a 7inch Ipod touch,so it should have something ipod touch hasn't and lacking what the 10inch has,
    so GPS and no 3G/LTE,my 2c.

11. aleni thread starter macrumors 68020

12. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

how do you get an Ipad 2 for $250 to $300?

13. tperry macrumors member

tperry

Maybe in larger cities. But everywhere is not a larger city. Only about 6 local businesses have it here, then the hotels that require you to have the password to access, and none of the schools.

14. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Would love to have LTE in the new iPad cause I want to mount it in a car if I get one.

15. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

From the various rumors I have read, it seems that Apple plans to sell 10 million iPad Minis by Christmas. So maybe it will be all these things and more.

I know I've stated this before, but it seems to me that the King of the Hill in the 7" tablet market is the Google Nexus 7 starting at $199. Considering that Apple has its sights set on the Google/Samsung duo, it is conceivable that at least the base line iPad Mini will be competitive with the Google Nexus 7.

I also think that there are current iPad and iPhone users who want something in between. I've always thought of the current iPad as an alternative to (but not a replacement of) a laptop/notebook computer. Perhaps Apple will market a high end iPad Mini as an alternative to (but not replacement of) the iPhone.

16. JSalig macrumors 6502

Ha! I need to move to areas that have all these non-sketchy wifi hotspots all over the place. Free public wifi that's solid and consistent is most definitely not everywhere. Its just not. Not in small or large cities. And those who are able to connect through their job's wireless network are lucky. I work in a 12-story building in downtown DC and anything above the 2nd floor is a deadspot.