Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Hi folks,

I am interested in purchasing an iPad mini for my classroom and realize that now might be a good time to try to buy a retina 16 gb for a good price.

I do not want or need the "new" one that may or may not be announced in the coming weeks. I am buying it for my classroom for kids who are not able to BYOD to school.

I would really like to buy it today so my kids can start using it tomorrow.

So, realize Apple usually discounts the previous model after a new announcement, should I....

a. Buy a "like new" retina mini for $250 from Craigslist that comes with a few cases and covers. It's clean and the original owners.

B. Go to best buy and use my tax free code and then price adjust when/if Apple drops the price of the current model.

Is $250 a good price? Should I try for lower from CL?

The nice thing about BB is the tax deduction and the fact it has a year warranty from the date of purchase, but it will end up costing me more in the long run.

My local Best Buy will give me the education discount + local tax free code.

I am using my own money, so I am trying to be a frugal as possible.

Thank for the help and opinions!

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Not sure if it matters now, but it looks like the fellow on craigslist is willing to sell a space gray retina mini 16 GB for 225. I can't imagine a scenario in which the current model retina mini will be anywhere close to that after a new one is released.I think for the purposes that I want to use it for, I may end up buying it through craigslist.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
I've actually built a website that houses my own videos, PDFs, flashcards, review quizzes, and classroom notes.

I also use it to host some online quizzes and blog writing assignments I do in my class. All in all, for the students that don't have a device it should be pretty cool.

miketheappleguy

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014
I've actually built a website that houses my own videos, PDFs, flashcards, review quizzes, and classroom notes.

I also use it to host some online quizzes and blog writing assignments I do in my class. All in all, for the students that don't have a device it should be pretty cool.

No need for retina. Just buy the original mini 16gigs

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
No need for retina. Just buy the original mini 16gigs

Good idea, but the price new (with discounts)and used is not the much different than the rMini. I would also like to have the A7 professor and better wifi. I would rather pay a bit more up front so it will be more "future proof".

Even if Apple drops the current base rMini to 299, I think 225 is too enticing for me to pass up.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Not sure if it matters now, but it looks like the fellow on craigslist is willing to sell a space gray retina mini 16 GB for 225. I can't imagine a scenario in which the current model retina mini will be anywhere close to that after a new one is released.I think for the purposes that I want to use it for, I may end up buying it through craigslist.

$225 is good. Go for it.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Went for the craigslist retina mini. It was wiped clean with find my iPhone turned off and ready to go. The guy was real nice and the exchange went perfectly.

The only problem is now my wife wants one...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.