iPad Mini Gen-1 Screen Replace What Parts to Order?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 1215, Jun 14, 2015.

1. 1215 macrumors newbie

I've never done one of these but the teardown videos look fairly straightforward. I've done several iPhone 4/4S and 5/5S screens and batteries as well as a variety of iPod batteries so the job doesn't scare me... as long as I have the right tools and parts on hand.

I'm doing a favor for a friend so I know very little about the device other having received a few pictures via text. You can clearly see where it was dropped and the corner is bent. The outer screen is shattered and I know nothing of the inner display. The display appears to be working fine it's just hard to see because the screen is shattered so badly.

As I said this is a favor and I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. Since the display is the expensive part, I don't want to order it unless it's absolutely needed. The display *looks* fairly functional. Is it safe to assume it's just the screen that needs replacing? How can I tell or troubleshoot the display via text to the owner who knows nothing about technology whatsoever? The iPad is his grand daughter's who is 4 or 5 and he is clueless about these things. It needs to be an easy troubleshoot question. Should I go ahead and order the display regardless or is it safe to assume it is fine? Like I said, it looks fine...

Last question: What is the adhesive Apple uses and where can I get some?

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

2. ray.arl macrumors member