iPad mini iPad Mini Genius Bar Replacements

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cergman, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I was curious if I were to replace my Black 1st generation iPad Mini, would apple give me a Space Gray or another black model? I would love to have the space gray color, and have some dust under my screen :D

2. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

In past they have only traded like for like and they almost always keep replacements of every product on hand.

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Your warranty is model specific so you get same gen, same size, same color

4. Cergman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Darn, I was hoping that since they phased out the black in favor of Space Gray while keeping the same components that it would be possible to get a Space Gray replacement.

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

They would only upgrade you to the newer mini if you had continued problems with your 1st gen mini.

I had lots of problems with my iPhone 3GS and when the iPhone 4 came out they upgraded me to that for free.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i could see this potentially happening in the future, but they must have significant stock of black/slate models on hand for replacements.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

'Lots of problems' had nothing to do with you getting an iPhone 4. Cases like that happen when there are very very rare supply issues in making the proper model. And stores are watched closely to make sure the issues are such that they required an immediate hardware swap. If they do it and they shouldn't have they receive a misclass which affects the stores performance scores and potentially staff raises, managers bonuses etc if it happens too much

A mini, no matter how many issues, would receive a like for like swap. At some point maybe they might drop black for space grey but that is not certain and that is the only thing they would change. They would not swap a first gen for a new gen.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I've read some accounts of devices being replace with newer models, but that seems more like a pleasant exception rather than the rule.