Ipad mini hardware

Discussion in 'iPad' started by robertosh, Oct 3, 2012.

1. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

What do you expect in terms of hardware/pricing?

I think:

* A5 chip, 512 RAM
    * No retina screen, 1024x768 resolution
    * Same cameras than the ipod touch 5G. (Maybe they use the crappy ipad2 cameras, i hope not)
    * 16,32,64 capacity.
    * 8h battery life.

Prices: 249, 349, 449 for wifi models, 349,449,549 for wifi+3g models.

2. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Nope because the pricing is the same or close to the ipod touch.

This is what I think will happen, they drop the iPad 2, the mini has the exact same specs as the iPad 2 except for lighting port. They sell it at the price of the iPad 2. It will come in 2 versions, at the same storage of 16gb but with a 3G option.

3. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Hope you meant LTE... It would be silly to include 3G and not LTE. Also the new leaked parts seem to indicate a nano-sim tray consistent with LTE support.

Here's my question - how many of you that are planning to buy an iPad Mini are interested in getting an LTE version and adding it to a Mobile Share plan, and how many are planning to get the Wi-Fi only version and tether to a phone for data on the go? I could go either way...

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think your specs are pretty much right. I would expect about $299 for the 16GB WiFi version.

Yes that's close to the iPod touch pricing, but the two products have different tradeoffs:

Some components will be more expensive than the iPod touch (battery, case).

Some components will be the same as the iPod touch (processor, memory, ports, buttons)

Some components will probably be cheaper than the iPod touch (Display/touch/glass assembly, cameras).

One fits in your pocket and is pushing the limits of miniaturization. One does not fit in your pocket and uses mostly recycled iPad 2 components and construction methods.

Remember that the iPad 2 already sells for $399. That price was also set 6 months ago. Apple could probably sell the 16GB iPad 2 for $349 now with decent margins. The iPad Mini will have a smaller screen, smaller battery, and smaller aluminum case.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I expect essentially the same processor & screen specs at the iPad 2 (32nm A5 chip, 1024x768 screen) at 8GB and 16GB capacities (given similar capacities on the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7) or possibly even 16GB only. I'm going to predict Apple will direct people who want 32GB and 64GB capacities to the full-size iPad.

I'm predicting a "Lightning" connector instead of a 30-pin connector for sure VGA front camera and 3-5MP rear camera (if it even has a rear camera).

If there's only one 16GB capacity, I'm betting on a $299 price tag for a wifi model and $379 with a cellular modem. $50 less for an 8GB model.

I also think there's a very good chance they'll kill off the iPad 2 altogether and put the 7.8" iPad in its place at $349 wifi and $429 cellular.

6. marcello696 macrumors regular

I think this is most likely scenario as well but I think the wifi version will start at $299

7. robertosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

robertosh

good point!

8. Elec macrumors newbie

Does anyone think that the 1024x768 resolution is a bit low compared to the 7" Google Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD? Those are it's direct competitors, so I would assume they would try to keep up in something like resolution. The iPad 3 excelled at resolution, I understand that the iPad mini is meant to be less expensive, but it seems like they wouldn't want to bring out a new product with such a low spec from the gate.

9. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I sure hope it has a little more RAM than that... But I like the 16/32/64 capacity part of your specs! I hope you are right!

10. WLS macrumors 65816

No I don't. It's not the specs but the experience. I think Apple will introduce an incell or IGZO display which will impress everyone.

11. Elec macrumors newbie

Specs sell, especially from the company that has the whole "Retina" thing going as one of their biggest selling points to date.

12. mtnbikerva1 macrumors member

I do not want a Apple copy of the Fire Hd or N7! I want a iPad full featured that fit

I want a full featured iPad that will fit in my cargo pockets on my North Face and REI convertable pants that I wear about 6 days a week and always under my scrubs at work.
    I just bought the KF HD 7" and I am NOT full of joy!
    Do not forget to get all the functionality you have to spend a lot of $ buying apps that may or may not equal what you get and can get on the way too puny 4s phone. I have the 4s and want, I think a bigger version of it that fits into my cargo pockets. The screen is too damned small!!!!

13. appswipe, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

appswipe macrumors 6502

IF the iPad Mini and iPad 4 were coming out at the same time Id expect some compromised specs to differentiate them. But because this is coming out roughly half a year before the iPad 4 then it would make sense to have the Mini EXCEED the iPad 3 specs. Even if you give the Mini Retina (IGZO), A6, better cameras and bundle in EarPods then it would still only be the more powerful device for 6months. Then the high end iPad 4 shows off its stuff in April and the world makes sense again.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

1024 x 768
    512 RAM
    A5
    Dual core GPU
    Lightning
    Earpods

$349.99

15. publicfarley macrumors newbie

Exactly this.

16. robertosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

robertosh

but what resolution? the screen is so small for retina, and the device is small to handle the battery needed for that screen. And of course it's expensive. Creating a new resolution will be a headache for developers, cause they have to manage 6 different resolutions in their apps.. I expect 1024x768. In that resolution all iPad apps will look great, no modification needed. Also, a smaller screen with same resolution implies smaller points, so the overall aspect of the screen will be sharper than the current iPad 2.

17. ReValveiT macrumors regular

No Retina. They'll save that for the iPad Mini 2.

Almost certainly a 16/9 screen though, and 1GB Ram I'd expect.

18. Bokes macrumors 6502

IMO- other than size- prepare to be underwhelmed by the hardware at a premium cost.

19. Che Castro macrumors 603

Retina is not a big event like it use to be

Every already expects everything apple to have retina nowadays

So apple can't use that as a big selling point or new feature

20. Stetrain macrumors 68040

They don't need a big selling point, they just need steady improvement while keeping prices steady.

This year skipping the retina display will help margins, which is crucial for the first generation as there are other costs that will be high.

Next year the margins won't be so tight and a retina display will make more sense for them.

21. RenoG macrumors 65816

I think you're on to something....

22. Elec macrumors newbie

"Retina" is not a resolution, it is a PPI spec. There is no such thing as a screen being too small for Retina, or else the iPhone 4S and 5 wouldn't exist :D

In what way? The iPad 3's battery works fine as does the iPhone 4S and 5. The size of the screen is more of a factor than the PPI.

Sure, it may be sharper than the iPad 2, but the iPad 3 is already out and halfway thru it's life. Why go backwards? In addition to that, why put out a product that is inferior to it's competitors? Apple has been riding the "Retina" train for a while now, so why go in the reverse direction and use a lower resolution than it's two $200 competitors?

It just doesn't make sense, not for Apple.

23. Stetrain, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

If it is retina, it will be 2048x1536, same as the full sized iPad. That would put the PPI at 326, the same as the retina iPhone and iPod touch.

Developers need to handle 5 resolutions in their apps already if they want to cover all iOS devices:

1) 320x480 (original iPhone/iPod touch)
    2) 640x960 (iPhone / iPod touch retina)
    3) 640x1136 (iPhone 5 / iPod touch 5th gen)
    4) 1024x768 (iPad 1/2)
    5) 2048x1536 (iPad 3rd gen)

The Mini will most likely just re-use either #4 or #5, it won't add new resolutions to support.

24. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Last time I checked, imaginary consumer products were free. ^^

25. robertosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

robertosh

I know what is retina but sorry, I didn't explain me properly. I mean that It's small cause if they put the retina resolution on a 7.85" screen implies that they had to put inside a A5X at least, this will cause more overheating than the ipad 3 due to its lower case. Also, It will be expensive to make a screen with that resolution and size maintaining the low price.

The competitors doesn't have the App Store :). It makes sense for me that if you want retina you will have to buy the full sized iPad. 1024x768 it's a good resolution for this size and aspect ratio.

Anyway, I hope that i'm wrong and Apple releases a retina display ipad mini for 300€ :)