iPad mini has the same resolution as iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SunnyStudioNeo, Oct 23, 2012.

1. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

This is a good news for developers and users, no need to care about screen size compatibility, and no need to see letterbox!

2. mtj111 macrumors member

Good news if you like fuzzy text. Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD are cheaper and higher res.

3. SunnyStudioNeo thread starter macrumors regular

You are starting a whole new topic by comparing with other brands. If you love laggy OS and downgraded UX, go for them.

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Apple compared the iPad mini screen to the original iPad. Now that's innovation! Good news for all!

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I am glad for this. An app I would use everyday, I'm not sure the developer would even make the effort to resize it for the Mini.

I'm glad all apps will work just fine.

6. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

its not innovation. its ripoff.

in 6 months time they will announce the ipad mini with retina display so everyone goes to the store again to buy the new one.

there is no excuse for them to launch a new product such as this with outdated resolution quality .

7. Skika macrumors 68030

So what would you have them do? Make it retina at this price? Make it some % more pixels and introduce a whole new resolution to developers and render apps useless?

8. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

hell yes.

the ipad with retina display is only $150 more expensive. if they can price a bigger ipad with retina at $499 they sure as hell can sell a smaller product with retina for $329.

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

And what about the battery and other hardware?

10. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

what about it?

it has a smaller battery, a slower dual core processor... what are you getting at?

11. Skika macrumors 68030

You believe making a smaller 2048-by-1536 is actually cheaper? Also the chip would have to be upgraded to run this display and the battery too.

12. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I disagree. The iPad mini's got a much thinner glass display and touch layer which increases clarity. Also, its pixel density is higher than that of the iPad 2.

The combination of this thinner glass layer plus this thinner touch layer, combined with the higher pixel density (compared to the iPad 2), makes the iPad mini's display much clearer and sharper than that of the iPad 2.

A 2048 x 1536 iPad mini will be coming next year or the year after, but for a first generation product that's just too expensive. Settling with any other resolution would cause major fragmentation.

----------

Not too mention double the amount of LED lights (which will also be costing you extra). Adding a retina display adds thickness, demands extra GPU power, demands double the amount of LED lights, the GPU will demand at least twice as much power and the LED lights will also demand at least twice as much power so a bigger battery (and thus a thicker device) would have been necessary too.