iPad Mini -- Hold on to your hats!

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Honestly, I'd hate that bezel size. It's not something you can exactly hold in one hand (like an iPhone), unless you have very large hands, so how would you grip it from the sides? You'd be making unintentional presses on the screen non-stop.

Comment

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Honestly, I'd hate that bezel size. It's not something you can exactly hold in one hand (like an iPhone), unless you have very large hands, so how would you grip it from the sides? You'd be making unintentional presses on the screen non-stop.
You'd be surprised. I can comfortably hold my Kindle Fire in one hand and I have average size hands. As much as I like a 7" Tablet I still think a 10" Tablet is the preferred and best size. It's still pretty worthless trying to use a 7" Tablet to surf the web.

Even if that iPad Mini is real, I can't see Apple releasing that thing anytime soon. They don't need to atm. They make too much money from the current lineup and no one has come close to the success of the iPad.

Comment

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
I think you would need an adult sized hand, but nothing abnormal. I'm perfectly fine palming a Kindle Touch, which this looks to be only slightly wider than.
There seems to be enough bezel to allow for fingers wrapping over the top a bit.

----------

Don't expect the so-called iPad mini/nano or whatever the mystery machine is to run iPad apps.

"Holding the internet in your hand" -Steve Jobs
Fixed that for you ... :p

----------

You'd be surprised. I can comfortably hold my Kindle Fire in one hand and I have average size hands. As much as I like a 7" Tablet I still think a 10" Tablet is the preferred and best size. It's still pretty worthless trying to use a 7" Tablet to surf the web.

Even if that iPad Mini is real, I can't see Apple releasing that thing anytime soon. They don't need to atm. They make too much money from the current lineup and no one has come close to the success of the iPad.
It would still be much better than surfing on the iPhone.

Yeah - I think it's just a matter of when they do it. I suspect it will be sooner rather than later.
I just hope they don't cripple it like the Touch ...

Comment

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
It's still pretty worthless trying to use a 7" Tablet to surf the web.
And it might not be as bad as you might think coming from the Fire.
Take a screenshot of this page (quick press of home and power button) and open it in Photos. Rotate the screen to make the image the smaller size -- you're looking at a display that's actually a bit smaller than the 7.85 iPad screen would be. It seems quite readable to me. The touch targets can get pretty minuscule though --- they're already quite small on the current iPad ... That's where zooming comes in handy.

Comment

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
I don't know if your referring to the picture with the screen on it in the thread. I mean the backing plate that just "showed up" ahead of WWDC. :rolleyes:
Well, who knows? If it is an actual leak ... they have to come out at some time ... proximity to holidays or anything shouldn't really count against it. Not sure what difference WWDC would make.

Comment

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Why would it have that cut out in the top? That doesn't even look like a sane design for a fake leak.

Comment

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
So you're saying that the one in the pic is missing the cellular antenna part? That makes sense.
Yeah! That part's plastic.
Kinda gives me hope for cellular data and GPS, which I would consider essential. Some of the low price rumors were causing me some doubts .... but hey, they're just rumors ....

Last edited:
Comment

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
Just an added note -- The 7.58 sized screen mentioned in the article would make the the screen 6 x 4.54" ... assuming they don't mess with the aspect ratio... That's getting pretty close to the size of the display you can see with the screenshot and rotation -- The screenshot is still a bit smaller, but only by less than 1/4" shorter in length. That's about as close as you can get to seeing what it would look like.

Comment

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
I really, really, really don't see it happening. Apple is dominating the bargain market now with their iPad 2 sales. I would be very shocked if they released a 3rd iPad line.

Comment

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2003
I really, really, really don't see it happening. Apple is dominating the bargain market now with their iPad 2 sales. I would be very shocked if they released a 3rd iPad line.
I guess that's the big question about it -- How does Apple see this fitting into their product line, and how will it affect their overall revenue? That's up to them to decide.

From what I've seen, the smaller tablets are making a lot of gains worldwide, while not doing all that much in the US yet. And they are starting to get some more serious competition with the new 7" tablets coming out.

Comment

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
I guess that's the big question about it -- How does Apple see this fitting into their product line, and how will it affect their overall revenue? That's up to them to decide.

From what I've seen, the smaller tablets are making a lot of gains worldwide, while not doing all that much in the US yet. And they are starting to get some more serious competition with the new 7" tablets coming out.
I don't think they've got any real competition yet. Apple has been increasing their market share from what I recall. RIM put a fire sale on their Playbooks and still can't get anywhere, lol. Kindle Fire bombed pretty badly. The only way 7" products could start to chip away at the iPad is through Windows 8 tablets that haven't arrived yet. Still, I really don't see it happening. But who knows.

Comment

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I do question how the device is going to fit in the ipad line up price-wise, unless they plan on dropping the 400 dollar ipad 2.

I think that size would be perfect. 7 inch tablets are actually quite a bit more portable so I would prefer one just for out and about use.

Comment