iPad Mini -- Hold on to your hats!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by knucklehead, Jun 7, 2012.

1. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

2. lepeos macrumors member

3. knucklehead thread starter macrumors 6502a

You may not understand -- It's not a mock up - just a way to determine scale...

4. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Honestly, I'd hate that bezel size. It's not something you can exactly hold in one hand (like an iPhone), unless you have very large hands, so how would you grip it from the sides? You'd be making unintentional presses on the screen non-stop.

5. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Don't expect the so-called iPad mini/nano or whatever the mystery machine is to run iPad apps.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

You'd be surprised. I can comfortably hold my Kindle Fire in one hand and I have average size hands. As much as I like a 7" Tablet I still think a 10" Tablet is the preferred and best size. It's still pretty worthless trying to use a 7" Tablet to surf the web.

Even if that iPad Mini is real, I can't see Apple releasing that thing anytime soon. They don't need to atm. They make too much money from the current lineup and no one has come close to the success of the iPad.

7. knucklehead thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you would need an adult sized hand, but nothing abnormal. I'm perfectly fine palming a Kindle Touch, which this looks to be only slightly wider than.
    There seems to be enough bezel to allow for fingers wrapping over the top a bit.

----------

Fixed that for you ... :p

----------

It would still be much better than surfing on the iPhone.

Yeah - I think it's just a matter of when they do it. I suspect it will be sooner rather than later.
    I just hope they don't cripple it like the Touch ...

8. knucklehead thread starter macrumors 6502a

And it might not be as bad as you might think coming from the Fire.
    Take a screenshot of this page (quick press of home and power button) and open it in Photos. Rotate the screen to make the image the smaller size -- you're looking at a display that's actually a bit smaller than the 7.85 iPad screen would be. It seems quite readable to me. The touch targets can get pretty minuscule though --- they're already quite small on the current iPad ... That's where zooming comes in handy.

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

10. knucklehead thread starter macrumors 6502a

just can't get one past you ... :rolleyes:

11. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I don't know if your referring to the picture with the screen on it in the thread. I mean the backing plate that just "showed up" ahead of WWDC. :rolleyes:

12. knucklehead thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, who knows? If it is an actual leak ... they have to come out at some time ... proximity to holidays or anything shouldn't really count against it. Not sure what difference WWDC would make.

13. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Why would it have that cut out in the top? That doesn't even look like a sane design for a fake leak.

14. knucklehead thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you have an iPad, turn it around and look at the back of it!

15. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

So you're saying that the one in the pic is missing the cellular antenna part? That makes sense.

16. knucklehead, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

knucklehead thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah! That part's plastic.
    Kinda gives me hope for cellular data and GPS, which I would consider essential. Some of the low price rumors were causing me some doubts .... but hey, they're just rumors ....

17. knucklehead thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just an added note -- The 7.58 sized screen mentioned in the article would make the the screen 6 x 4.54" ... assuming they don't mess with the aspect ratio... That's getting pretty close to the size of the display you can see with the screenshot and rotation -- The screenshot is still a bit smaller, but only by less than 1/4" shorter in length. That's about as close as you can get to seeing what it would look like.

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Don't hold your breath waiting for one...

19. jgc macrumors regular

I really, really, really don't see it happening. Apple is dominating the bargain market now with their iPad 2 sales. I would be very shocked if they released a 3rd iPad line.

20. girish98 macrumors newbie

21. knucklehead thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not breathing is certainly not a very good idea.
    Not thinking is not such a good one either ....

22. knucklehead thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess that's the big question about it -- How does Apple see this fitting into their product line, and how will it affect their overall revenue? That's up to them to decide.

From what I've seen, the smaller tablets are making a lot of gains worldwide, while not doing all that much in the US yet. And they are starting to get some more serious competition with the new 7" tablets coming out.

23. jgc macrumors regular

I don't think they've got any real competition yet. Apple has been increasing their market share from what I recall. RIM put a fire sale on their Playbooks and still can't get anywhere, lol. Kindle Fire bombed pretty badly. The only way 7" products could start to chip away at the iPad is through Windows 8 tablets that haven't arrived yet. Still, I really don't see it happening. But who knows.

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

25. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I do question how the device is going to fit in the ipad line up price-wise, unless they plan on dropping the 400 dollar ipad 2.

I think that size would be perfect. 7 inch tablets are actually quite a bit more portable so I would prefer one just for out and about use.