iPad mini Ipad mini - hotspot question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by i-sidd, Dec 12, 2012.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I nee dto usemy ipad mini - wifi version sometime sin area where there is no wifi. So the solution to getting connection is I can get my Ip5 to act as a hotspot so that my ipad mini connects.

Now i have a 2gb plan and as I understand I need to bump upto 5gb for me to be able to get the hotspot feature.

Is the connection relaible and fast? Do I have to connect through bluetooth or wifi. Also how much more willI be paying to get this hotspot service?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

It works over Bluetooth, USB or Wi-Fi. As for on the iPad, you'll need to use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

It's just as reliable as an LTE iPad would be. If your phone isn't getting a cellular signal, your iPad wouldn't be either. (If they are using the same carrier.)

If you are using AT&T, the 5 GB plan is $50 a month.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=TB8bfY0YkDN

3. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the info...yes I am on ATT

4. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I've tethered my old iPad a lot from my iPhone 4 just fine. Usually over BT rather than Wifi. I've been on AT&Ts network but with other suppliers like RedPocket and annoyed that they turned off tethering so I jail broke my phone and installed tetherme to re-enable it. Daft to have a 2GB plan and no tethering but I needed to be on a short term deal rather than a contract. Ironically, here in NZ I just bought a cellular iPad mini and Vodafone NZ gave me a free SIM since I'm on a smartphone plan and bumped my deal by $10 a month to allow me to run both my phone and iPad on the same contract but gave me $10 more data too so not unhappy. Tethering was OK at a pinch, but I love the independence of having a cellular iPad now.