Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mi3G

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2017
Hi!
I have an iPad mini "original" or how I should put it. The old stuff. I stopped updating at iOS 6 and despite being 4-5 years old it runs perfectly. However, now mainly my kids use it and barely any apps work to download as they require ios8. I am VERY reluctant to upgrade the iPad, especially since it now has iOS 9.3 as the only option.

Does anyone have any insights? Can the iPad mini be upgraded? Without completely slowing down? Which iOS 8 version would run the smoothest?

Thank you in advance!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi!
I have an iPad mini "original" or how I should put it. The old stuff. I stopped updating at iOS 6 and despite being 4-5 years old it runs perfectly. However, now mainly my kids use it and barely any apps work to download as they require ios8. I am VERY reluctant to upgrade the iPad, especially since it now has iOS 9.3 as the only option.

Does anyone have any insights? Can the iPad mini be upgraded? Without completely slowing down? Which iOS 8 version would run the smoothest?

Thank you in advance!
You only have two options: stay with whatever version of iOS you have now, or update to 9.3.5. It's not possible to pick an interim version. If your kids need to use newer apps, you'll need to upgrade.

Mi3G

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2017
You only have two options: stay with whatever version of iOS you have now, or update to 9.3.5. It's not possible to pick an interim version. If your kids need to use newer apps, you'll need to upgrade.
I thought I could choose whichever I want with jailbreak?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I also have the original mini, and it's on the latest (iOS 9.3.5). It's not fast, but it does what I need it to and works.

If I were you, I'd either stay where you are or - if you need features that are in iOS9 but not iOS6 - upgrade to the latest.

I removed my jailbreak and found the iPad was faster. I missed some of the tweaks but I've all but forgotten them now.

The iPad is coming to the end of its useful life, but I don't think I'll replace it. I bought it when I had an iPhone 3GS as I wanted to Facetime and that iPhone had no front camera, but now I have the 6S I find I rarely use the iPad.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
No, jailbreaking has nothing to do with being able to install a given version of iOS.
To elaborate a little, the particular firmware version you can install depends on whatever Apple is currently enabling via their code signing mechanism during the install process. As Apple progresses through different firmware versions they turn on code signing for the new version, and disable code signing for the old version (eventually, there is always a period of overlap). The jailbreak community has never really had the ability to crack the code signing system, so ultimately you're stuck with whatever Apple is willing to currently sign... in this case, 9.3.5.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
To elaborate a little, the particular firmware version you can install depends on whatever Apple is currently enabling via their code signing mechanism during the install process. As Apple progresses through different firmware versions they turn on code signing for the new version, and disable code signing for the old version (eventually, there is always a period of overlap). The jailbreak community has never really had the ability to crack the code signing system, so ultimately you're stuck with whatever Apple is willing to currently sign... in this case, 9.3.5.

I have always wished Apple would allow one to upgrade or downgrade to a particular iOS that your machine was capable of using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.