iPad mini iPad Mini iOS version

Discussion in 'iPad' started by windbrand, Jun 28, 2013.

1. windbrand macrumors newbie

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what iOS version the iPad Mini comes with at default factory settings, if it was purchased in either late May or early June? I bought an iPad Mini today and it was open-box (because it's all sold out). I'm trying to see if the guy who returned this actually used it, because the iOS currently is 6.1.3. To my knowledge, a complete restore to default factory settings will auto update it to latest iOS. So if it originally did not come with 6.1.3, that means the guy used it, then restored to factory settings to make it look new.

Thanks.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

There is no way to tell, sorry.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Open box generally means somebody used it and returned it. Apple doesn't sell open box in their retail stores, only big box venders do.

4. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

The iPad Mini in May/June would have come out of the box with 6.1.3 as that was and still is the most up to date iOS version for the iPad Mini. As long as there are no issues with the Mini that you purchased I would just enjoy it and not worry about whether or not someone had used it before you.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Not exactly.... I got mine from AT&T for my graduation present and it came on 6.0.2. Maybe he wants to jailbreak it. I know I did but I wouldn't have cared if I was on the latest OS lol jailbreaking isn't all that serious for an iPad. Maybe on an iphone but not an iPad.

6. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

There's no way of knowing; it depends on how fast the store is at moving stock. I bought two iPad minis a few weeks ago and they both came with 6.1.2. On the other hand, I bought an iPhone 5 about a month ago and it came with 6.1.

7. hexonxonx, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

hexonxonx macrumors 601

Mine came with 6.0.1 installed when I bought it three weeks ago. I jailbroke it but then got tired of the annoying bugs with iTunes Match and upgraded the firmware to the latest which solved all the bugs I was experiencing.

Mine is the 32GB black AT&T version. I bought it at Micro Center on June 6th. Surprised it had 6.0.1.

8. scottw324 macrumors 6502

I just bought my 16gb mini about 2 weeks ago, brand new, not refurb, not open box, and it came with 6.1 on it which I am happy with because it allowed me to JB it and install iFile so I can use my 32gb thumb drive with via the lightning USB camera connection adapter.

16gb internal for games, books, and apps, 32gb external for video content.

9. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

It depends on the store. The apple store will be the latest while carrier stores might have older firmware because they don't sell as fast

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

As the above poster said, it depends on the store. When I went to purchase the ipad mini cellular model, first I gotten with 6.1.2 installed but it had a cosmetic damage so I went back for an exchange at the Apple store.

The one that I have exchanged was built in December so it came with 6.0.1 (even though I purchased it in April). Which I was surprised because it was April and they still had some stocks left from December? Anyways I updated to 6.1.3.

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If something is open box you should assume it was used. Either as a floor model or bought, used and returned within the return period. No other reason for it to be 'open box'