Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rm.237

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Somewhere
I've always found it's nice to have an Apple product at the ready for when I am in need of it. I've got an iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone. All have their place and time for use and all get used. Anyone finding reason to own both an iPad and a iPad Mini? If so, why?

Last edited:

miklovo

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2008
I've always found it's nice to have an Apple product at the ready for when I am in need of it. I've got an iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone. All have their place and time for use and all get used. Anyone finding reason to own both an iPad and a iPad Mini? If so, why?

iPad for me and iPad Mini for the kids. It won't be as heavy and it would be smaller for smaller hands. Doesn't hurt also that it'd be a cheaper price point to replace if my 2 year old dropped and broke it.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I'll probably have both only because I bought the iPad when the Mini wasn't available. I think the smaller form factor fits my usage patterns a little better though.

What I'd love even more is something with the form factor of the Mini which can also double as my phone.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I will get the smaller ipad there's no doubt about it! My ipad 4G is just too big and heavy to carry everyday, but perfect for home usage, and the mini will be the tablet i carry everyday! I really love the form factor and weight of my nexus 7.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Hmm nah i dont think i would need it. iPad is a perfect fit for me in terms of screen size/portability.

zunex

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I don't think so. One is really enough though. Unless you have kids, you know :D

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I will get the smaller ipad there's no doubt about it! My ipad 4G is just too big and heavy to carry everyday, but perfect for home usage, and the mini will be the tablet i carry everyday! I really love the form factor and weight of my nexus 7.

I agree with big samm. The current size is perfect for home, but inconvenient to tote around everywhere. An iPad Mini would be the perfect compliment to the iPhone.

What I would really love to see is the ability for the iPad Mini (or larger iPad) to mirror or mimic everything you do on your iPhone. So if you are doing something with an app on your iPhone and decide you need more screen space, you just put you phone away, take out your iPad and pick up right where you left off.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I agree with big samm. The current size is perfect for home, but inconvenient to tote around everywhere. An iPad Mini would be the perfect compliment to the iPhone.

What I would really love to see is the ability for the iPad Mini (or larger iPad) to mirror or mimic everything you do on your iPhone. So if you are doing something with an app on your iPhone and decide you need more screen space, you just put you phone away, take out your iPad and pick up right where you left off.

That's ideally what iCloud should enable, but I hear from developers that it's a pain in the arse to implement.

We see some of what you mention in the iCloud bookmarks for Safari.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
That's ideally what iCloud should enable, but I hear from developers that it's a pain in the arse to implement.

There are a lot of apps that do this already. For instance, Kindle app, Instapaper and iBooks all sync furtherest read points in any books / articles you are reading. They don't open to the last book / article, but when you do open the book, you'll be at where you were on your other device.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
My wife and i each have an ipad3 but i bought a google nexus7 and love the form factor so its become an addendum to my ipad. I'll use the ipad now mostly for tv and movies and online shopping and the nexus for email browsing etc. my wife's fallen in love with it and i'm sure will go for a mini if and when it comes out. I might too if it has a rear camera. If the mini doesnt get released she'll get the nexus 7 to replace her older generation ipod touch to carry around.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

It's good to know that they are heading in that direction.

The gripe I would have is that in order to use iCloud to do this, you need a data plan for both devices when you are not around WiFi.

I would like to see them do this using Bluetooth. However, I am probably in a very small minority with this. I'm too cheap to buy a data plan for my iPhone.

Rm.237

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Somewhere
iPad for me and iPad Mini for the kids. It won't be as heavy and it would be smaller for smaller hands. Doesn't hurt also that it'd be a cheaper price point to replace if my 2 year old dropped and broke it.

See I'm thinking of doing exactly this. I've been wanting to kid my oldest one for quite sometime. If I had to think of a way to incorporate one for myself it would be on the reading front. Something easier to manage at certain times. Those times would be so few and far between though that I'd be fine not to have one for myself.

Changen

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
California
I have the iPad three which is perfect for me and my school books but I will get the mini if the price is right mainly because I want to run it with my theater in the house and have a dedicated remote using my itach and roomie remote. Only think that I can wish for is that apple comes out with a dock system for it to complete the setup.

mrrippey

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2009
Low Resolution compared to others

Doesnt anyone feel that the iPad mini proposed resolution inferior since the other 7" tablets have higher resolutions?

I'm not sure if I am going to get another iPad but I will give my kids the iPad 2's that I have now and get one of the $199 tablets just for reading (which is what I do most on the iPad now).

Rippey

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
ipad mini seems like a waste to me, too much of a middle ground product, and rumor has it will be at least double the cost of a nexus 7 and other competing 7" tablets.

If I want a screen I can shove into my pocket I've got my iphone, if I want a "full" size screen I have my ipad3, and if I need to do a lot of typing I've got my macbook air. The mini is too much of a compromise in every aspect, unless I considered using it as a phone like the G-note.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.