Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
rofl nice

Or the on/off switch move she did.

It's so awkward the way she's interacting with it. The ad would actually look quite slick if it weren't for those fumbles

What app did you use to write a novel in?

Sorry to hi-jack this part of the thread, but I also pretty much wrote both of my eBooks in Pages on my iPad. This was done over the course of a number of months - mainly while sitting in the car waiting for my kids to come out of dance/drama classes, etc.

I eventually tidied it up and finished it off in Word, but the bulk of the work was done in Pages - without an external keyboard!

RTP.

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Try it. Touch typing is trivial on the full size iPad because autocorrection does a good job picking up the slack.

Mini isn't as good but a little change in hand positioning makes it still possible.

Even on the iPhone, I can't remember when the last time I looked at the keyboard while typing was.

how nice. Nothing like autocorrection correcting everything incorrectly and making a mess of everything typed. On iphone, ipad or ipad mini.

Short stuff, its ok. Long stuff is an exercise is frustration. Keyboards are infinitely preferable.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
what's the point of buying a tablet when some people can get rid of their laptop ???

most clients asking me for this kind of accessories are usually seniors, just because they don't know how to use the ipad keyboard... then why do they buy an iPad in the first place ???

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I have taken to typing on a touch screen like a fish takes to water. I love typing on the iPad's touch screen. After 2 1/2 yrs typing on my first gen iPad, I've gotten pretty quick. As quick or even quicker than on my MacBook. Seriously. My iPad mini just arrived, and typing on that is even easier in many ways.

Personally, I couldn't imagine going back to a physical keyboard with my iPad. It just doesn't appeal to me at ALL. And kinda takes away from the whole iPad experience IMHO.

For an iMac or a MacBook fine. But not an iPad. Defeats the purpose if you ask me.

But I guess some people will buy it. I just won't be one of em. To eachs own. It's all goood. :-D

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
So I have a Dodocase Hardcover for my iPad Mini... freaking love it. I can type rather well on my iPad mini actually... but I'd say that if I was in a class or something taking a lot of notes, it would get tiring.

At that point I'd just have a small apple bluetooth keyboard with me though and set it up in front of my iPad Mini in the Dodocase.

Best of both worlds.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
those keys must be tiny.

You can see a shot with his finger pushing one key... but pushing three or four around it. Seems pretty sketchy. They shoulda done a full-sized keyboard case with speakers off the sides around the mini.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Like that it has an on/off switch. I set up my mom's ipad 3 with her Apple bluetooth keyboard and I always worried that the baffling momentary switch on that keyboard would throw her for a loop. Because it threw me for a loop. Love it but it's pointless -- or maybe it's just connected to bad feedback (some crypographer needs to decode Apple's LED blinking/color system).

Nothing worse than having no keyboard (it's in another room or floor), and no way to bring up the onscreen keyboard aside from turning off bluetooth.

Can anyone tell me that this has been solved?

staypuffinpc

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
touch typing

Of course you can type. But the lack of feedback makes touch typing almost impossible*.
I find I'm able to type amazingly well using the on-screen keyboard. Of course, there are those who certainly prefer the feel of the keys under their fingers and if that's how you type, more power to ya, but don't suggest that because you're incapable/unwilling to work one way that it's "almost impossible."

That said, I totally agree with this statement:
Plus using an external keyboard means you can see the whole screen when typing.
Which is going to be a big issue on the smaller iPad, IMO.
*not that touch typing is much more practical on a keyboard this small.
No kidding. Did you watch the demo vid? The guy's fingers hit another button every time he touched the thing.

Rolltide88

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
I wonder how stable the Mod case is. It just looks like it would bounce around a bit if you touched it.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I hav the mini, 32 gig wifi only, and I love it. And I would never get a freaking keyboard for it. Why? I don't need the bulk.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I don't understand why anyone would buy a keyboard case for a full size or mini iPad. If it were that great an Idea apple would market one... Now look how great that touch-cover thing is on the surface... :rolleyes:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Yet another advert?

Guessing the only reason this made the homepage is because the link to the product is actually a hidden affiliate link again.

Code:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=c6684b5502fa2a415a104d824988c196&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.macrumors.com%2F&v=1&libid=1353362331931&out=http%3A%2F%2Fipadminimod.com%2Fshop%2Fipad-mini-keyboard-case%2F&title=Mac%20Rumors%3A%20Apple%20Mac%20iOS%20Rumors%20and%20News%20You%20Care%20About&txt=%2440%20aluminum%20case&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13533623670922

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yet another advert?

Guessing the only reason this made the homepage is because the link to the product is actually a hidden affiliate link again.

Code:
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=c6684b5502fa2a415a104d824988c196&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.macrumors.com%2F&v=1&libid=1353362331931&out=http%3A%2F%2Fipadminimod.com%2Fshop%2Fipad-mini-keyboard-case%2F&title=Mac%20Rumors%3A%20Apple%20Mac%20iOS%20Rumors%20and%20News%20You%20Care%20About&txt=%2440%20aluminum%20case&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13533623670922

I think they're pretty obvious with it but yeah, we don't really need affiliate links for things like this.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Wow,, that's huge..

What ever happened to keeping it thin... ?

The keyboard is bulky,,, well not that, but it looks more like a 90's style mobile phone i was using.

First design for the mini, i admit, but I would have thought they could have done something more "attractive to the eye" being thin like Apple-like, than a big clunky.

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
TBH I've never really understood keyboard cases on tablets. They make the tablet significantly more bulky, hindering it's portability, and aren't as good for using on the lap as laptops... So why not just use a laptop? 11" MBA anyone?

10-hour battery life? no removal at security checkpoints? those hold value for me.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
In a meeting where someone else is speaking. Everyone around the meeting table trying to use Siri with their iPads.

In a classroom where the Professor is presenting. Talk to your iPad at the same time and you'll soon be ejected from that classroom.

In any "Shhhh" (quiet!) setting (library, hospital, etc) where you want to get some content into the iPad but no one will tolerate you talking to it.

Etc.

How about you just let Siri dictate directly from the professor or the guy who's speaking? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.