iPad mini iPad Mini & Maps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BuckeyeMac, Feb 25, 2013.

1. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

So I am looking at picking up an iPad Mini. However, I travel a lot (driving down to FL from OH in early June for instance). I was looking at purchasing the iPad Mini WIFI only. I know I wont get Turn-by-Turn assitance, but would I be able to pull up maps before I leave, type in the address, and let it look up directions, then I can leave and it will still have directions for my trip?

OR

The Google Maps app, would it be possible to pre-load the maps, type in the address, use those directions without WIFI, and use that while on the go (even if it won't know my location)?

Thanks

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

You can still get step-by-step directions; you just have to manually advance to the next step each time you complete a leg of the trip. It will show that portion of the map that contains the current leg of the trip, but it won't show your position.

Also, it supposedly caches maps that you have looked at, but the information on how this works is nearly non-existent. I personally don't trust it. There are other alternatives (not all are as expensive as Tom-Tom, etc) that allow you to download maps before you go.

Regards,
    Tom

3. BuckeyeMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of selling my iphone 5 and picking up a mini. What about iMessages? If I have a 5 now and get rid of it, will I be able to iMessage friends with my phone number still, or how does that work?

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

you can reply using email

----------

TomTom, Navigon, and MotionX Drive all allow for pre downloaded maps, but are not free.

Google maps could work if you get the directions and then take a screenshot for later.

However the wifi only mini has no GPS. You would need a cellular iPad or a bluetooth GPS.

5. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

keep your iphone 5 dude. you get to keep your alwasy on data so you wont have to worry about precaching and you'll have a gps chip
    to alot of people, a tablet is still a luxury toy more than a tool.

6. BuckeyeMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not worried about the data. I just want something bigger to browse the web since I'm on it so much. Would be nice to have an all in 1 device (bigger screen and phone)

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I'd imagine it would be hard, not to mention dangerous, looking at the maps for direction and tapping the next button for the next direction (due to not having turn by turn voice directions)?