iPad Mini need smart cover magnet

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bnrr, Aug 25, 2014.

1. bnrr macrumors newbie

Hello, I am looking for the smart cover magnet for the ipad mini. My digitizer screen was crack and shattered and need to be replace. I ordered the replacement screen for my mini ipad which is a A1432 wifi, after successfully removing the damage screen I did not expect
    any other problems, until it came to to transfer the magnets to the new screen.
    I had found that the original smart cover magnet has broken into serval pieces:eek:
    now I need to find and get replacement for the screen. I am seeking help from the MacRumors community if any members know how I might find new replacement. I had tried
    the apple support, but have yet to hear from them, it is nearly two weeks snd waiting for a response. I have spend over three days googling over internet with no success any help would be very appreciated.
    Thank you and God Blessed:)

2. thegreati macrumors regular

The magnets themselves do not effect the functionality of the smart-cover. An ORIGINAL OEM home button flex has the proper chips on it to activate the on-off smart cover functionality.

As for the 2 magnets that hold down smart cover flap down, those are/were stuck to the inside of the OEM glass you removed. I don't honestly think that those have "broken into pieces". I briefly browsed eBay and Google for replacements of the two of them and wasn't able to find any. But, I have quite a few extra left-over and would be willing to send you some for $20.

3. bnrr thread starter macrumors newbie

smart magnet replacement

Hello, greati thank you for your reply to my post. I am happy and relief to hear from somone
    with a replacement that I am looking for. In your post reply you mention that the smart cover magnets have no other functionality? I don't really know much about how all the parts
    within the ipad mini works, but when I saw the broken pieces of magnets, and look thru the
    repair and disassembly guide from a website (ifixit) it mention that the magnet from old glass
    panel needs to be transfer because it is the lock and wake sensor, which I assume is an important part of the digitizer screen. I am still trying to distinguish the difference between the smart cover and the lock/wake sensor magnet, are they the same or are they different?
    Well the point is I am very happy to get a reply from someone like yourself. Please let me know how I may be able to take up on your offer for the magnets. Thank you and God Bless.

4. thegreati macrumors regular

I assure you you do not need the magnets to have the sleep/wake functionality work. It simply just wont hold the smart cover down if the magnets are not swapped.

The sleep/wake functionality is within a few chip on the home button flex. Likely on the replacement glass you purchased they used a cheap home button flex that did not include this (very common). When I do these repairs I literally have to swap the OEM home button flex with the cheap one the glass provides. Its just how most of the replacement part market works currently.

I am thinking your concerns currently would be to get an OEM home button flex on there instead of the magnets.