Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stretch80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Michigan
Is anybody else having a hard time staying on wifi? Every time I wake my mini up it has lost its wifi connection. In settings my ask to join networks is on as well as my wifi selection is on. Any suggestions?

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Is anybody else having a hard time staying on wifi? Every time I wake my mini up it has lost its wifi connection. In settings my ask to join networks is on as well as my wifi selection is on. Any suggestions?

"Ask To Join Networks" should be set to off.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
1. Toggle wifi on and off
2. Reset Network Settings (you will need to relogin to ur wifi)
3. Toggle Airplane Mode on and off

those should do the trick. If anything, your wifi router is probably going bad.

Jock

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
Hadleigh Essex UK
iPad mini intermittent wifi dhcp client failure.

Got UK 16Gb iPad mini WiFi IOS 6.01 13 days ago. Have noticed intermittent browsing hangups on my D-Link DSL-2780. No problems observed for Macbook (Mountain Lion), MacBook Pro Santa Rosa (Snow leopard), iPhone 3G cellular data OFF, Nokia E61.

Today at a friend's house with Zyxel P660HW router the iPad mini lost WiFi , going into settings saw his ssid showing good signal but a 169 IP assignment ie no address assigned by DHCP - tried renew lease but no effect. iPhone 3, E61, and iMac (Snow leopard) all happy on same ssid. Then created local hotspot E61 Joiku - iPad sat there whirling no connection on Zyxel ssid, showing strong signal on E61. I prodded the E61 bar and it logged on to it working perfectly. Powering off and rebooting Zyxel router got the iPad onto it working fine for a few minutes, then it hung again with a repeat of the scenario above.

This has to be buggy code on the iPad mini, possibly the DHCP client. Apple people please fix this.

There are also iPad mini Bluetooth issues, which I will post separately.

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
Got UK 16Gb iPad mini WiFi IOS 6.01 13 days ago. Have noticed intermittent browsing hangups on my D-Link DSL-2780. No problems observed for Macbook (Mountain Lion), MacBook Pro Santa Rosa (Snow leopard), iPhone 3G cellular data OFF, Nokia E61.

Today at a friend's house with Zyxel P660HW router the iPad mini lost WiFi , going into settings saw his ssid showing good signal but a 169 IP assignment ie no address assigned by DHCP - tried renew lease but no effect. iPhone 3, E61, and iMac (Snow leopard) all happy on same ssid. Then created local hotspot E61 Joiku - iPad sat there whirling no connection on Zyxel ssid, showing strong signal on E61. I prodded the E61 bar and it logged on to it working perfectly. Powering off and rebooting Zyxel router got the iPad onto it working fine for a few minutes, then it hung again with a repeat of the scenario above.

This has to be buggy code on the iPad mini, possibly the DHCP client. Apple people please fix this.

There are also iPad mini Bluetooth issues, which I will post separately.

I see a very similar problem.

I also see a good signal to my girlfriend's router, but upon a connection attempt most of the time it just tries for a few seconds before saying 'unable to connect'. On the few occasions it manages it, I can maybe get an internet connection for a second or two before everything refuses to load, and checking the internet settings reveals a 169 self assigned IP address as you mention.

Worryingly, if I attempt to connect to my neighbours networks or public ones it also has similar issues BUT if I go right next to my router (and I mean a few centimetres) ... everything is fine. I'm really hoping this is a software problem and not a hardware one, since my mini works fine at my own home router and at work...

stretch80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Michigan
It's not staying connected again :/ ...all my other apple products are able to stay connected. Guess its time to call Apple support.

Cyclet1

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2013
Wifi issue

I'm having similar problem. After I connect to wifi in my house it drops in a few minutes. Tried multiple fixes but nothing seems to work. Any body have any suggestions to fix this.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Tried multiple fixes but nothing seems to work. Any body have any suggestions to fix this.

It'd be a bit easier to give relevant suggestions if you provided some details about what you've tried...

1. Have you reset your router and rebooted the ipad?
  2. Have you tried telling the ipad to forget your network settings and reconnect to your wifi?
  3. Have you tried resetting network settings?
  4. Do you have this issue only at home or does it happen elsewhere as well?

If you've tried the first three and also have the problem anywhere you go, then it may be a problem with your unit and you'd need to call Apple.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I'm having similar problem. After I connect to wifi in my house it drops in a few minutes. Tried multiple fixes but nothing seems to work. Any body have any suggestions to fix this.

Same here. IPad mini drops connection. MBA, two iPod Touches remained connected next to each other. No issues with 10 year old iBook, old XP unit or Win 7 netbook.

I think there is a connectivity issue with iPad mini. The first one dropped connection several times during personal setup at Apple. I returned it and got this one. Not as bad as the first but unacceptable for an Apple product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.