Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbeliever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I'm a real estate developer constantly searching homes, ordering from Home Depot online, and messaging people (both text and e-mail).

My current set up is an iPhone 5 which I use 95% of the time on the road. I also have an iPad 1 with hotspot that I pay $40 per month for 3 gigs. I've never gone over because it's a pain to turn on the hotspot and turn it off 2 minutes later.

So I've decided to up the size of the screen that I look at my blueprints and do my mobile from my phone to an iPad with 4G. I'll sell the iPad 1 and shut off the hotspot.

For those of you who use the iPad mini is the extra mobility worth having the guts of a second generation or would you go full size with a generation 3 that's faster? They are basically the same price.

I look forward to your responses.

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
One thing to consider that would annoy me (maybe not you so much as you are already dealing with it) is that if you go with an iPad 3, you are going to still have two separate chargers. Some people are okay with it, but it bugs me.

Out of those two, I personally would go Mini.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Sorry. Is the ipad the device you'll be looking at blueprints on?

How much does the screen size matter to you?

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Hi Everyone,

I'm a real estate developer constantly searching homes, ordering from Home Depot online, and messaging people (both text and e-mail).

My current set up is an iPhone 5 which I use 95% of the time on the road. I also have an iPad 1 with hotspot that I pay $40 per month for 3 gigs. I've never gone over because it's a pain to turn on the hotspot and turn it off 2 minutes later.

So I've decided to up the size of the screen that I look at my blueprints and do my mobile from my phone to an iPad with 4G. I'll sell the iPad 1 and shut off the hotspot.

For those of you who use the iPad mini is the extra mobility worth having the guts of a second generation or would you go full size with a generation 3 that's faster? They are basically the same price.

why not expand your choice and go with the Ipad 4. since you're going to use it for realty work, it will be handy showing your portfolios to your clients on a bigger screen.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
the new mini will be nice. avoid the existing model, it's dreadfully underpowered by current standards.

as a mobile businessman myself, I opted for the Air due to the larger screen. I had the mini but mostly to read documents. it was not possible to share or present on its screen for my uses.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Not sure if you're looking at refurbs yet, but consider a refurb of whatever option you choose to get more bang per buck.

I vote mini because the portability is great and I can see everything. Depends exactly what your need it for and how good your eyes are through I think.

macbeliever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Thanks for all the input.

The tablet will only be used for me. I won't be doing any presentations with it. I really like the idea of the smaller size for driving around, carrying, using it on the jobsite etc.

However if 365 days from now a new iOS comes out and I can't upgrade or it just becoming painfully slow, I do t want to be stuck with a paper wright.

Guess I'll have to play around for a bit more...

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
IPad 4 or 5 - or Mini 2. Everything else is horribly outdated. The iPad 3 became exchanged with the 4 very fast - with a reason; avoid the 3.

Hi Everyone,

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Thanks for all the input.

The tablet will only be used for me. I won't be doing any presentations with it. I really like the idea of the smaller size for driving around, carrying, using it on the jobsite etc.

However if 365 days from now a new iOS comes out and I can't upgrade or it just becoming painfully slow, I do t want to be stuck with a paper wright.

Guess I'll have to play around for a bit more...

Unless you plan on only keeping the device for a year or so, spend the money for the new mini. The A5 chip the old Mini uses is very outdated already. For not a whole lot more money you get a much better screen, and a chip that is something like 7x faster than the A5. That speed translates into making a device that feels much more like using a computer as opposed to a limited mobile device.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Hi Everyone,

Get the mini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.