All iPads iPad mini or iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by realrick, Nov 18, 2013.

?

Which iPad model should i buy?

1. iPad Air

61.8%
  2. iPad mini with Retina display

38.2%
  1. realrick macrumors newbie

I want to get rid of my iPad 2 right now. But i don't know which ipad i should get. I bring my ipad to school everyday to use ibook oftenly. i play games quite a lot and always watch movie in Starbucks every weekend. The iPad mini is very light and small but the iPad air is also slimmer and lighter than the previous ipad 4. Give me some advice please.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's tough to give you advice on something that is mostly a preference thing. For your use, either one will work, so it will be up to your personal preference. Which one feels better in your hand? Which one looks better? To you.

You don't seem to have a specific need that would make one a better choice over the other.

3. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

Where is the option for "Ugh, not one of these threads again".

:)

4. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Here's my POV:
    Coming from an 8" Tab 3, I purchased a 128GB Wifi Air 1 week ago. It's pretty amazing, light and fast. BUT, within 3 days I sold it back to a friend who wanted one... LOL!

I ordered the rMini because the Air is just too big for me even with my big hands, I get tired of holding it despite its amazing weight. I move alot around the house with it and I'm too woried that I might drop it in the stairs or something.The rMini fits in both my front and back pockets for transport. I just have to remember not to sit on it ;)

For me, it came down to portability over display size. Hope this helps.

5. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I voted Air as I think it's the better "productive" iPad b/c of extra screen real estate. I owns both an rMini and Air. I don't like to do a lot of writing other than brief notes on the Mini b/c the screen doesn't lend itself to longer writing.

7. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

I've got both and am keeping both, but voted air. The screen size is just too nice to give up and it's still light enough to take everywhere. Just a few years ago everyone was taking huge laptops around like it was normal. The air is light. To say it's not portable is crazy. The only advantage I see for the rMini is reading books and the fact it fits into some pockets.

I use my air exclusively at home and the rMini everywhere else. If I only had the air though I would take it with me instead.

8. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Going from the Mini to the Air has been a bit of a change but having more screen to play with is a welcome change, don't have to squint to read magazines and books now.
    I bought the mini because at the time I needed the portability but now I only really use it at home so the bigger air is no problem.

If it's ultimate portability then the mini is your best bet.

9. Sinclairb612 macrumors newbie

I was contemplating really hard just like you are right now... But decided to go with the mini as I've been waiting for the retina version for a while now.

After playing on it for 3 days, I think I've made the right decision. If you go in the store and compare mini vs air, you'll be tempted to get the air over mini since the weight difference isn't as dramatic and the screen real estate and the font size on the air is incomparable when seen from side by side.

However, what you don't realize is air even though it is extremely light, it is really difficult to use in an outside setting due to its large size. Reading on a full sized ipad seems perfect in your living room, even in your local library, but in other public places like the subway and cafés, it just looks and feels awkward to use. The font size may seem like it will be an issue when you compare with the air, but really is a nonissue when used independently as the retina screen allows the texts to be completely legible... And there is always the option of pinch and zooming.

Finally if you're going to take the ipad outside, I'm assuming that you'll be putting it in a case, and mini with the smart case is obviously a little heavier than the one without, but is still light and portable. I don't know if if I can say the same about the air.

Having said all this, it is really your personal preference, but I hope my opinion helps in this happy but frustrating decision to make!

10. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Since you take it with you often, I would try the Mini first. Most retailers now have an extended holiday return period so you have more time to feel if it is the right fit for you.

11. AudiA3 macrumors member

Get the mini... And use it every night before you go to bed!

12. realrick thread starter macrumors newbie

So how is it feel like when you watch movie on a smaller screen of iPad mini? Is it too small and spoil your excitement?

13. chilady1 macrumors member

chilady1

I really didn't have a dilemma on the Air or mini. For me, it was never a question of the smaller screen size. I just sold my iPad 2 and went for the Air, I felt it was time. I am not the person that MUST have each new iteration of Apple products, simply because I cannot afford it.

I had my iPad2 since it came out and have really enjoyed using it in all different ways. Personally, I wanted the larger real estate of the bigger screen. I already have e-ink readers that come in the mini size so didn't want to replace them.

The AIR is so light and dare I say it - AIRY. LOL! It almost feels to light. My iPad 2 was 1.3 pounds and believe me that .3 makes a big difference. I think whichever one you go with you will be happy. If you have the ability to go to the Apple store, try each one out and see which one you like better. Given the weight of the Air now, I feel like it is light enough and better portability wise, but still has the large screen that I wanted. Good Luck and let us know what you land on!

14. Sinclairb612 macrumors newbie

If it is for your own use only, and not viewing with others, the video is fine on a mini. I watch nba league pass games on with it no problem. I agree with the commenter above, you can buy the mini and try it for yourself, and return if you don't like it before January due to the apple's holiday policy.

15. Radeon85 macrumors 6502

I have had the iPad 1,2,3 and currently my 4, this time I have skipped the Air and went for the retina mini instead.

I never had the original mini as it would have been a downgrade at the time of it's release for me, and it was underpowered with a low res screen.

The reason I went for the mini this time as it's practically an iPad Air in a smaller case, and I wanted something more portable.

Have been playing with my mums original iPad mini (only bought it this week) and love the size and weight. Just so much more portable, and text is still easy to read without lot's of zooming, so that should be even better on the retina one. My main use is web browsing and lot's of gaming. Have been testing games out on my mums original mini to give me an idea what it will be like when mine turns up, and found games to be much more enjoyable to play as the virtual controls are not as stretched as the large iPad but still have lot's of room.

Have been typing on the mini in landscape and I can type just as fast as the large iPad/PC keyboard. Can't wait from my retina mini to arrive :)

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

iPad Air. Been comparing both and I'm much more comfortable with the Air. Struggling with the smaller everything in general on the mini. Chamfered edges also seem to dig into my palms more with the mini. The yellow bottom edge also bugs me too. Feels like a cow urinated on the edge of my mini.

Lastly the color gamut. Having used the Air, the mini inferior gamut bugs me more than I thought it would.

Was planning to return the Air once the mini arrived but I'm actually gonna go the other way and shelf the mini.