Ipad mini or ipad mini retina

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bilal25, Aug 2, 2014.

1. bilal25 macrumors newbie

bilal25

I'm planning to buy the iPad but I'm confused. should i go for the iPad mini or mini with retina? And i would also like to know how much available memory will i get in the 16gb or 32gb variant.

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

That depends on what you intend to use the iPad for.

16gb --> 12-13gb avail.

32gb --> 27-28gb avail.

3. bilal25 thread starter macrumors newbie

bilal25

my main purpose is gaming and a few apps. thats all

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What kind of games, and how many?

Graphics intensive games, like Infinity Blade, take nearly 2 GB. Plus, when installing, you need double the space free, so in order to install Infinity Blade, you need 4GB free.

If you are talking about casual games, like Angry Birds, they take a lot less space. I'd say between 200-500MB each.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

"a few apps". Now that helps a lot :rolleyes:

For gaming the retina is recommended.

For standard office work like numbers, pages, word, browsing and media consumption the "old" mini is perfect.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

I found the Mini to be really bad for web browsing which is why I returned it even with a $100 discount.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Why?

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I have the iPad Mini first gen and I think it's great for reading (articles, forums, etc not a book) and web browsing.

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

I found the non retina Mini to have poor font scaling, i.e. jaggies throughout. I had to zoom in a lot and flip the tablet sideways so as to make the fonts bigger and reduce the jaggies. I then made the mistake of comparing the Mini screen to my Galaxy 4 8.0 and the lack of screen quality on the Mini was jarring to say the least. Plus the Galaxy Tab 4's colors and whites were more vivid (some say saturated) either way the Galaxy Tab 4 was the deciding factor on sending it back. And I really was trying to convince myself to keep it.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

interesting. I only use my mini in landscape and I am very satisfied.

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

OK, yeah I can see why you would have little complaints then. In landscape mode i.e. sideways the fonts aren't too bad but in portrait mode it's not so good. And I prefer portrait over landscape unless i'm watching a movie or video.

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I'd suggest going to the store and have a long play with both demo models to get a handle on both.

13. AndreaTa macrumors regular

If that, I think you should have an ipad mini retina.