iPad mini iPad Mini or iPod Touch 5G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by H01D3N, Aug 4, 2013.

1. H01D3N macrumors newbie

Which do you think is a better buy, the iPad mini or the iPod touch 5G?

2. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Neither, Nexus 7 2013. $229 iPod touch 5G 8gig vs $229 Nexus 7 16gig is a no brainer. And I hope you were not talking about the $299 iPod touch. Why would anyone pay $329 this late in the game for a year old iPad mini with 2 year old iPad 2 guts? If your determined to stay in the Apple ecosystem then just wait. That's the best honest advice anyone will give you.
    Gotta to tell you that the ipod touch and iPod mini are in different categories. Otherwise I would not have mentioned the Nexus 7.

3. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I don't know they are both different. I have both. The touch is so portable, I can take it anywhere but the mini is also very portable.

So do you have a smartphone/ MP3 player already? If so then maybe the iPad is the better option.

I think because they are so close in price the iPad is better value for money. But both are good devices.

4. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I have both. The Mini has a much larger display (and that includes the Nexus 7), but the iPod Touch will fit easily in the bottom of a pants pocket. The iPod gets used in my car mostly, where it's connected to my touch screen stereo. It allows access to all of my music, including album art. The Mini can be used in exactly the same way, but it doesn't fit into my little convertible's center console pocket.
    Both are capable of web browsing, Air Play, email, etc, but the Touch's smaller screen makes reading and typing unpleasant. If I had to choose just one, the Mini is a clear winner IF you don't need the smallest device.

The Touch's screen has the same aspect ratio as the Nexus 7, and that's fine for watching movies. The letterbox screen on both devices is much more like a phone, and requires a lot of scrolling to read web pages. The Mini shines here, with the web page friendly aspect ratio of 4:3. If you can't get an in-person look at these devices, look at a YouTube comparison between the Mini and the Nexus 7, and decide if the latter's narrow screen will suit your needs. My Touch gets very little use as a web browsing device because of its narrow screen, but works in a pinch.

Waiting for a Retina display depends on your needs. I don't think you'll, see a Retina Mini for at least two months.... at least. While the current Mini's text isn't as super sharp as an IPad with Retina, it's fine. I own a Mini, iPad 4, and MacBook Pro Retina, and I'm typing this on the Mini. ;)

You can find several YouTube videos comparing the Mini and the iPad Touch 5G, and some are actually well done.

P.S. I use the iPod Touch for taking pictures and videos. Its small size makes picture and video taking much easier than even a small tablet, and you won't look silly doing it. ;)

5. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Actually Ipod touch $229 is for 16gb and yet i dont think it can be compared to the new Nexus since Ipod touch is way more easier to play game with and there are plenty of supported game for its spec. Nexus is a tablet and Android dont offer as stable apps compare to ios.

Most who get the touch 5 would prefer to play game and take pics. I doubt anyone whose considered it dedicated for music.

6. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

7. robertosh macrumors 6502

robertosh

Well after seeing your signature, for what do you need an iPod touch? Having a 4s and two ipods makes no sense for me to buy the touch. The ipad mini will fit you better i think, it has old hardware but runs perfectly. But, if i were you, i will wait until september cause we probably see a new refresh in both touch and mini.

8. H01D3N thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I am looking to sell my other devices in favor of the upcoming "iPhone 5s" and need a new device with more storage. Thanks for the advice, though.

9. Bear macrumors G3

Since you have an iPhone, you might want to consider the iPad mini unless you want the extra portability of the iPod touch.

I presume that you will get your next iPhone with more storage space.

10. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Get an iPad Mini or try to wait for the next gen if you can. I wouldn't bother with the N7 for many reasons. Seems like people mostly get it because its cheap with good specs. The iPad mini has a better user experience in my opinion though. I think the bigger screen is great, so i wouldn't get the ipod touch.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics