All iPads iPad Mini or Retina Mini for Kids

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bielen, Nov 15, 2013.

1. bielen macrumors regular

I'm looking to purchase an iPad for the holidays. I traded in an iPad 1 for $200 at credit. I'd like to either purchase the Air for the kids to share (10 year old twins) or two iPad Minis (non-retina) at either Target or Wal-Mart using one of he Black Friday deals.

While I know they would like their own device, it seems buying into the Mini is buying into outdated technology, but they really won't know the difference until down the road when I can't update to the latest iOS.

Any thoughts or what would you do?

2. funkeruski macrumors regular

I'll bet they'd rather each have a mini. That's the route I'd go. Two ten year olds sharing? Good luck with that.

3. creed16 macrumors member

They are twins. Haven't they shared enough? Get them each one of their own. Will make them much happier. I bet they won't even know it's outdated as it can still hold it's own. It's still good technology.
    Now I don't have twins, but I do have a 11 and 7 yr old and they each have their own. Tried just letting them use mine, but seriously the fights they would have. Me included.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I think 2 first gen minis would be perfect. It's a perfectly capable tablet for almost everything. I only upgraded cause I'm a tech junky, and my. 40 year old eyes appreciate the extra clarity of the higher resolution.

5. mtntrance macrumors member

I have twins too

They both had my wife and my old gen 1s but I traded them in at target. I got them their own retina minis because I wanted the 1 gig ram and a7 chip. For $200 more they will outlast the original minis. Pay now or pay later was my thinking.

6. bielen thread starter macrumors regular

If I can get the two retina Minis at Target, that's the route I'm taking. iOS 8 or iOS 9 will be 64 bit only so spending $200 now will buy me an extra year or two down the road. It was frustrating being stuck on iOS 5 on the original iPad.

I wonder if I purchase the retina Mini in advance of Black Friday if Target will give the two gift cards at customer service.