iPad mini iPad Mini Pink Tint

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fenjen, Dec 2, 2012.

1. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

So my Mini definitely has a pink tint. It's not all that apparent in when using it, but when compared to another iPad or iPad mini it's definitely pinker and somewhat less bright. I had already sent it back to apple but that was mainly due to something else. I however did mention the screen tint. I got mine back and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with my iPad. When I asked about the tint the salesman told me that iPad displays get brighter over time but actually don't believe that will be the case.

So what do you guys think. Should I bring it back again and hope that if they have iPad Mini's in stock another salesman will swap it for me, or should I just leave it like this

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

If it's not apparent with normal use, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

at least you don't have this ridiculous light bleed, as my Mini has

Attached Files:

4. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Stealing a thread is the next best thing to starting a new one on the same topic.

5. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I would return it if you are unhappy with the screen. I returned 3 4th generation iPads before I got a screen that I'm happy with. My first 3 screens had yellow tints and were't as bright as the one I'm keeping.

6. syd430, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012

syd430 Guest

Why do you have to keep posting this every few days?

I can see you already posted this here and here and god knows how many other times.

7. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

'tis the season to be jolly, kid

8. syd430 Guest

The colour variances have to do with the tolerances that Apple sets with manufacturers in order to avoid very low yields.

Screens like yours, while not optimal, still falls within Apple's tolerances.

Back in March, my first iPad 3 was what I thought at the time was "too yellow" and "dull", so I swapped it out with another one and got a screen that appears "pink". Over time, the pink just looked worse and worse to the point where every time i fired up my iPad i felt like I was looking at a beetroot. I then wish I just kept the first one.

Fast forward to November, and I picked up an iPad 4 with yellowish, somewhat uneven screen, swapped it out again and you guessed it, got a beetroot screen again, exactly the same as the first swap with my ipad 3. Finally the 3rd iPad 4 was near perfect, no more staring at a beetroot. In retrospect, I wish, just like my ipad 3, that i kept the first one, even though it had somewhat uneven tones.

I guess everyone is different, but for whatever reason I cannot stand a screen that my brain perceives as pink. Though it may be psychological, but I have tried several times to just "get used to it", but it just seems to get pinker and pinker as each week passes, until finally I have to swap it out.

On the other hand, i've learnt that the screens that lean on the warmer side of things don't bother me, and I can eventually get used to it no matter how yellow it is. I can even get used to somewhat uneven back lighting as long as it's got an overall yellow tint to the screen.

I know that some people prefer a pinker/bluer screen over a warmer screen, but I am the opposite.

9. fenjen thread starter macrumors 6502

fenjen

I returned my Mini and within two days I had a new one. Thought everything was okay but this thing has a yellow-ish tint and a little bit of dust under the screen. Gonna return it tomorrow. So far I'm not that content with the quality. I do like that apples service is pretty fast. I just hope I will get a good one next time..

10. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i expect the Mini quality to be horrendous considering how under the gun they are to pump these out. they have such a shortage of product it's actually a shame considering we're in the holiday time

11. fenjen thread starter macrumors 6502

fenjen

Okay so I got another one.. This time I directly took a close look at the screen to see if everything was fine. But no, I found a dead pixel and a stuck pixel. So I took it back. The dude at the shop surprisingly told me that this is not considered as a hardware failure unless multiple pixels are dead. Even though another worker at the service centre of the store I bhought my iPad said that apple has zero tolerancy for dead pixels etc. Gladly the dude still agreed to take it back but I'll have to wait a couple of days agaim before I get my new one. I really hope this one will be good..

12. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

Is this pink tint all over the screen? I just got a mini and looking at it I see the colors aren't as sharp as my iPad 3. I playing Clash of Clans and the purple on the mini looks faded, while the retina looks more rich.

I just wonder if that's what a non-retina looks like or the screen isn't right.