iPad mini iPad Mini purchase HELP!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoeRito, May 3, 2013.

1. JoeRito macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

When iPad first came out, I was hesitant to purchase for the following reasons:
    1. No file management
    2. Couldn't multitask
    3. No expandable storage
    4. No way to get Excel files to work on it

Has this changed much in recent models? Is the mini as functional as the standard size iPad? Obviously it doesn't have the retina display. Thx

2. sim0n macrumors member

Yeah they are great, much more convenient than the larger model in my opinion

3. SeanR1 macrumors 6502

SeanR1

1. no change
    2. no change
    3. no change
    4. not sure

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The mini does do everything the full size iPad does, only on a smaller screen.

1. Apps like Dropbox, GoodReader, FileBrowser, etc, help make up for the lack of a native file system.

2. Most apps now have a "suspend and resume" function, which is what is needed when people want to switch between two apps rapidly. Also, there is limited multitasking for apps that need it, such as music apps playing in the background, or Dropbox app transferring files in the background.

3. No change, nor is this likely to ever change. There are, however, wifi hard drives that work with iPads, if you are interested in that kind of a solution

4. There are a number of apps for viewing and editing Office files. Though I understand that if you have a really complex document, not all of it might convert properly. But for simpler documents, you shouldn't have much trouble.

5. JoeRito thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoeRito

This is the kind of feedback I need... many thanks. I'm more comfortable now than ever... we use these in business now, that helps as there are numerous enterprise apps out there and iPads are even supported internally.

I guess the big question is whether or not to wait for mini 2... retina? Love the form factor at 7.9".