iPad mini iPad Mini question from a potential buyer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anirudh, Nov 10, 2013.

1. anirudh macrumors 6502

Considering getting a first generation iPad mini. I plan on using it for reading large (300mb+) pdfs, browsing the web and the occasional gaming (priority being in that order).

Tried reading through the forums but got tired after the first 40 or so pages and was wondering if the first gen owners can give me any input. In my country I can get it used for the same price as the 2013 Nexus 7, but since I already own an iPhone 5, I would like to stay in the ecosystem unless there is a compelling reason for me to get the N7.

TIA

2. monk fish macrumors member

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Stay in the ecosystem. It will easily perform the function you are expecting out of it.

4. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol, guess I am still hung over :eek:

What I meant to ask was if the mini would perform all the mentioned tasks without hiccups.

I had the 'New' iPad a few months ago and had a couple of things really pissed me off, namely web pages kept reloading and the keyboard kept disappearing. I am specifically worried about the 512MB RAM in the Mini. Does it cause it to stutter every now and then?

5. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

These issues still happen on the mini but most people don't find them to be major annoyances. I think you'll be fine.

6. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

For reading large PDFs I recommend GoodReader for iPad,

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/goodreader-for-ipad/id363448914?mt=8

Not a free app but I wouldn't be without it on my mini. I've not thrown a 300MB+ PDF at it but it's handled everything I've thrown at it so far (including PDFs of 100MB or so).

A

7. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for all your replies. At this point I am thinking I better wait for the retina mini. I'll update this thread once something happens

8. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I would wait for the retina mini. It will be so, so much better than the current 1st gen mini.

9. Megakazbek macrumors regular