iPad mini iPad mini question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MauerFan, Nov 3, 2012.

1. MauerFan macrumors regular

I generally don't like buying the first generation of products, but the iPad mini is pretty appealing. I read a lot, and the mini would be idea over a regular sized iPad. The only other thing I would do is use the internet, and a few apps. People keep saying the second generation could have retina though. Based on what I'd use it for do you think going for the first generation would be fine? FWIW i still need to get out to an Apple store and look at this.

2. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Why not just order it and play around with it for 2 weeks. If it doesn't meet your needs just return it.

3. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Let me ask you this? How important is the display to you?

I own an iPad Mini, and I will say this.. it is a first-generation product.. however, it feels very very well built. It works flawlessly.

I am however, returning this device as I feel the screen is a bit too low res and the colors look washed out to me. That is however, the only reason. The form factor is very nice.

I will be instead getting either a 3rd or 4th gen iPad. I am always on retina displays though, as I'm currently using an iPhone 5 and a 15" rMBP daily.

4. tytbody macrumors regular

This is really great for that.i just found ibooks and I guess that's ipads version of kindle books, not sure. But I can read my kindle books on my ipad mini great. I am so glad I have this. I use it also for reading emails in the bed, portability. Calendars, just a lot more so I'm happy with it. No need to wait for something else because if you do that you'll be waiting for something else. If I had liked the size of my original ipad I would have kept it. So with this, now that I love the size, and weight and it's an Apple, I'm very happy with it. It is great. Did I say that enough.

5. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I love the mini more than the full sized version. I went for the first gen because I'll just sell the first gen and buy the second generation.

6. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Just buy it. It's under $500, and you'll probably recoup at least 3/4 of the cost to buy the new retina version, if and when it does appear.

7. Awakener, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012

Awakener macrumors 6502

Right. Could overlook it if only the resolution, but now having second thoughts over other screen quality issues. Someone mentioned that the Mini may be using two different manufacturers, so some are worse than others(?)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16217426&postcount=76

8. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I still don't understand why Apple doesn't include iBook as an native app on the iPads to boost its popularity yet include some of the lesser used ones... :confused:

9. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

I am loving my mini. Sold my iPad 3. I love the portability. The screen is no retina but it is not a complete slouch. I can easily read web articles. When it comes to reading for long periods at a time is when I think I will miss the retina. Having said that, the ability to put it in my inside coat pocket and barely know its there is unmatched and still being in the apple ecosystem. Most people wouldn't give up a iPad 3 for the mini but my uses are portability over top notch display.

10. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I'm not sure on this one. I've been using the Mini for a little over 24 hours and I can't adjust to the display, so I'm returning it and will use a 3rd or 4th gen until a retina Mini is released. Other than the display, I have no other complaints on the device.