iPad mini Ipad mini question???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lugnutal, Jan 31, 2014.

1. lugnutal macrumors newbie

Hey guys. New to the forums here....been reading for a long time and decided to join in. I have a iphone5 and a late 13" Pro and am looking to get a iPad mini. Was looking for advice on which one to get? I do quite a bit of public speaking and use Pages to write my outlines and could use the mini when i am speaking instead of notes. Will also be using it for a little netflix and personal reading but that's it...maybe a few games. Would I be ok with just the plain mini or go ahead and get the retina? I've been reading a bit about some issues with stuttering and freezes so i'm a little hesitant. Thanks for any tips.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You may as well go with the retina if you can afford it. There have been some reports of stuttering and freezes as you say, but they are few and far between.

3. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Once you have a retina display, having anything else becomes hellish.

4. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

I have the 1st gen and love it... retina doesn't make a big difference to me. However, you can be sure that Apple will eventually start rolling out new things that only newer generations can do.

5. Robster3 macrumors 68000

6. ninety5eclipz macrumors member

I think it's a personal decision that you will have to make. Those that have experienced the retina will most likely say it's a must have or you're wasting your money if you don't get the retina. I disagree. I have both. Depending on what you use it for the older one will be just fine. If you watch movies once in a while and some games the 1st gen is fine. If your ipad is your only means of watching tv and your an extreme gamer than you might want to think about the retina.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

Count me in on the stuttering, freezes and springboarding. I think a lot has to do with iOS 7 and the combination of the A7/M7 hardware. Supposedly iOS 7.1 addresses these problems or most of them.

My advice is to go to an Apple store or Best Buy and compare the two. I have an iPad 2 and have no problems with the screen quality. Because of the screen size of the iPad mini the text should look better than it is on the iPad 2.

I have had virtually NO problems running iOS 7.0.4 on my iPad 2 where I was really disappointed with how my rMini behaves with the same OS. I decided to take it back for now.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with the retina.

I've not noticed too many issues with my rMini, but I do use it mostly for reading, some surfing and a handful of games. I think others may use it more intensely then I use mine.

9. lugnutal thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys...going to go to the Apple store today and look at both of them....I'm kinda leaning to the retina just because it's the newest but i am gonna give both a fair shake. May even look at the air (have to sweet talk my wife for that one).

10. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Get the rMini. Worth the dollars. The only way I would go with the older mini is get the cellular model so that you can connect to cloud services while you are away from your computer. I went with the cellular ipad rMini 16GB model this time and love the connectivity.

11. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

The test on the mini is small. If you will be using it while speaking you would probably find it easier to read the sharp text on the rMini. I think for the extra $100 the rMini is well worth it for everything.