All iPads iPad Mini Redesign?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheDeviceUser, Aug 4, 2014.

1. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Generally, apart from the first year of the device, we've seen an iPhone/iPad redesign every two years, e.g

iPhone

iPad

Therefore, based on this schedule, it would mean that we could expect an iPad Mini redesign this year, two years since it was introduced in 2012. Therefore, do you think that we'll see an iPad mini redesign this year? Or will Apple stick with the current design? We've heard a rumour about an iPad mini Air that's 33% thinner, though there's been no more information on that.

I'd say however, even if there was a redesign, how would they redesign it? Can the iPad be redesigned any more?

What do you think?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't we'll see a mini redesign, there's not much to redesign anyways - other then to make it thinner which I half expect but I don't think that constitutes a redesign.

3. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Even with the same design, the rMini was such a jump over the Mini 1, it really was way more than a "Mini 1S." I think this year's improvements will just be incremental (chip boost, Touch ID, etc.). The year after would be the likely time for a design change in both the mini and Air.

Where I could be wrong is if they do decide to incorporate the rounded edge Air design in the Mini this year to match the Air and the iPhone, which will both be rounded assuming all the leaks are true. "iPad Air Retina Mini." I can see that happening.

4. addictzz macrumors 6502

Don't you all think the iPad Mini is thin enough? I am looking at weight reduction if Apple were to change anything physical with Mini.

5. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

It's not as simple to predict as that. Let me fix it:

iPhone line
    2008 - introduced
    2010 - glass/metal
    2012 - bezeled aluminum
    2014 - rounded edges

iPad line
    2010 - introduced
    2011 - tapered edges
    2012 - bezeled aluminum

You can't conclude anything about a future iPad redesign except that the next redesign might take clues from the iPhone 6's rounded edges design.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I agree, I don't think there is much more they can do other than hardware improvements inside of what they already have.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

Well they could go edge to edge display with no bezel. I don't see anyone doing that yet. If Apple did that to the Mini it would even be smaller than 7.9".

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

yeah, I guess than it would be much easier to hold in your hand/ put in your pocket/bag etc.

9. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

The iPhone and iPad designs seem to feed off of each other. The only iPad updates right now that seem obvious would be more rounded edges and TouchID.

10. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

There probably be no redesign.
    Most of apples products have rounded edges....so if any product is getting a redesigned, it's the iPhone.

I'm sure we are getting slight improvements like a thinner and possibly lighter tablet with Touch ID. But I think that's it.

11. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I think the only 2 things that Apple could do with it would be to make it thinner and add Touch ID. Other than those 2 things I think it's fine now.