iPad mini refurb or wait for iPad mini retina for watching movies?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sunny330, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Sunny330 macrumors newbie

I have an iPad 2 which I use for email, playing games, reading books and magazines, watching TV shows and movies and surfing the web. I'm thinking about giving the iPad to my husband and buying a mini for myself - the smaller size, lighter weight and portability appeal to me. I don't know if I should buy a mini refurb or wait for the new minis with (hopefully) retina display. My question is: how much difference does the retina display make when watching movies on Netflix and TV shows on demand? Will I be kicking myself for not waiting for retina or will the price cut on the refurb make up for it?

Thanks

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I would say go to an Apple Store or best buy to check it out yourself. Play a couple videos on the iPad 4 and compare the iPad mini to it, and see if it's a big enough difference to wait for the next generation mini.

3. Sunny330 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks TyPod, that's a great idea.

Sunny330

4. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

On a personal note, I absolutely love watching movies/netflix on my iPad mini. I think the resolution is more than suitable and looks wonderful.

5. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

+1 you should definitely check it by yourself before purchasing. Of course the retina display will look brighter and better but that doesn't mean it will be enough for you. Maybe the mini's resolution is all what you need.

I decided to buy the iPad 4 instead of the mini only because of the retina display and I don't regret it. I checked both at Apple Store and for me, which already uses an iPhone 5 and a rMBP, the iPad 4's retina was a big deal.

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

While comparing the two makes some sense, I'll give you another viewpoint. I went from an iPad 1 to a Mini two months ago and have no regrets.

But: When I first handled the Mini in the Apple Store, I was thoroughly underwhelmed. It felt heavy for the size. The screen was so much smaller than I was used to seeing, and at the time, it seemed like a very minimal upgrade.

I hemmed and hawed and did nothing for another two months. In the meantime, it seemed everyone I knew was buying the Mini. I quizzed them all, trying to understand why they'd chosen what they did instead of the full size iPad with the coveted retina screen. The same two arguments came up over and over: portability and cost.

During a hospital stay, I was having trouble with the tiny keyboard on my iPhone 5. My old full size iPad was too heavy for me during my recovery. My husband brought me a Mini, hoping it would be a better fit. His thought was that if I couldn't get used to the size, we'd return it and pick up a full size one instead once I was well enough to use it.

Spending a week with the smaller form factor made the difference. I was sold. Even seeing it side by side with an iPad 4 and that gorgeous retina screen at the end of that week didn't change my mind. The portability factor wins by a mile. And to be fair, I have no problem with saving the extra $$ over either the larger iPads or the likely more expensive retina Mini...whenever it's finally released. I can live with non retina for another couple of years.

If it were my choice to make, I'd buy the refurb and try it out for a few days. The screen's going to look a bit sharper than your iPad 2 as the resolution is the same in a much smaller area. No, it's not retina. But it's plenty good enough to view movies and shows on.

If you find you don't like it, return it before your return period expires. While that's a bit of a nuisance, I think it's just hard to tell how YOU personally will like it until you have a decent amount of time to put it through its paces, and that's more than can be done in the store.

(I think if I'd spent more time on the iPad 4 in the store, I might have been suckered into that screen...and then been unhappy both with the price and the form factor. I was a heavy user of the iPad 1, but the Mini gets even more use because it fits in a normal purse, so it goes absolutely everywhere with me. And while retina would be nice, I was not at all happy about the price tag of buying another full size iPad. The current Mini is really my ideal iThing at this point, surpassing even my iPhone 5. FWIW, mine's used for for web surfing, light gaming, videos, and pretty heavy reading using the Kindle app. And a friend actually gave up her iPad 4 for a Mini after using mine--again, the portability factor won her over. She reads even more than I do, mostly on the train while commuting.)

7. arashb macrumors 6502

If all you want is to watch movies then stick with a non-retina mini, if anything a retina mini will give worse quality videos.

8. Dsteller, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

Dsteller macrumors member

When I purchased a refurb iPad 2, everything was great at first, then everything started freezing, so I went in and exchanged for another refurb iPad 2, and the same problem. From personal experience, I'd say wait for the retina.

If I were you, I would go for a new Mini. Being inpatient and having past experiences, that is what I plan on doing. The portability, cost, and size are perfect for my needs.

Also, if you intend on waiting for the new Minis, you would be waiting until late 2013, or early 2014.