All iPads Ipad mini refurbished or retina iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gc15, Oct 25, 2013.

1. gc15 macrumors regular

Im looking to get a mini 32gb, but I don't know if paying the extra 160 bucks is worth it for retina, what do you guys think? Or maybe i should try to get an iPad 4 32gb. I need some suggestions.

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Do you already have an iPad? If you are used to Retina you might want to go with that one. Otherwise you might see a difference. I can see a difference between my iPad with Retina and my wife's Mini without.

Also, what will you be using it for? Does the size matter to you?

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

How much money do you have? iPads are (for most of us) a luxury item. To me, I've had an iPad 2, 3, and a Mini. Based on the recent weight reductions on the big iPad, I'll be picking up an Air. The lower price on the Mini and Mini Retina doesn't bother me at all... I'm ready to go back to the bigger screen. Getting the absolutely most portable unit isn't as much of an issue. Plus I find myself taking off my glasses to read my Mini screen more and more now anyway... :)

Clint

4. yegon macrumors 68020

Retina Mini.

You'll be getting an iPad that will be absolutely outstanding in performance for a minimum of two years. Plus, an amazing display.

Current Mini is an adequate device - I have one - but it was old tech at launch and, realistically, has one more decent year before it's shortcomings will become all the more apparent. 512mb ram already bites.

I'm buying a retina mini and fully expect to get at least three good years from it, and it'll probably be its ram (speculatively 1gb ram), that limits it's usefulness beyond that point.

5. gc15 thread starter macrumors regular

I have owned an iPad 2 before, i technically still have it, but my folks use it while I'm at college. Im wanting to use one to read pdf files for graduate school and for leisure activity for browsing the web and other stuff like that. Price isn't a big a factor, but I'm all about saving a buck.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

If you are going to be doing a lot with documents then maybe the bigger screen will be better.

7. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

As long as you've seen the difference between retina & non-retina screen & aren't looking to do any high end gaming on it, you should not disappointed your purchase of a refurb.

8. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

refurb ipad mini 32gb $340
    refurb ipad4 32gb $450
    ipad mini 32gb (gen 2) $499
    ipad Air 32gb $599

given the price points, the ipad mini would be least attractive option because of it offers least bang-for-the-buck and has the most limited future potential.

if you want a full-size ipad, the ipad4 option offers better value than the ipad Air - not worth the $150 premium for the Air unless you do a lot of gaming or plan to.

i think it'll boil down to the ipad4 or the 2nd gen ipad mini. bigger is always better if you plan to use it for pdf reading; screen size is not that significant when reading epub or mobi.

the 2nd gen mini offers the most future-proof option and its lesser weight & size might could be important to you. i'll reserve judgement and wait for reviews on whether the 2nd gen is equally as good over the gen1 on battery life.

i'd go for the ipad4 refurb. i like the Air but $150 extra is not worth it. that $150 less makes it much more likely you'll recoup a greater percentage of your initial outlay if you want to resell the ipad4 on your next upgrade.

9. gc15 thread starter macrumors regular

I like the way you think, and the only reason i considered the mini was cause i liked the feel of it in person and i guess because it was something different compared to my folks iPad 2. I also liked the idea of being able to put it in my white coat on rotations since I am in pharmacy school, but i can always use my iPhone for that i suppose. I guess ill just wait to see what reviewers say about the retina mini and go from there.