iPad mini iPad Mini Retina has colder screen than iPad 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kalt, Nov 13, 2013.

1. kalt macrumors regular

I remember when I got my iPad 4 and the color of the screen was a lot warmer - more red - than the iPad 3.

Compared to the ipad 4, the Mini Retina is more like the iPad 3... colder, more blue.

Not a huge difference and I don't know which one is more "accurate". It will take me a day or so to get used to the slight color difference, like it did with moving to the iPad 4 from the iPad 3.

I assume it has to do with different suppliers of the screens. Anyone else notice this same thing?

So far the biggest difference is in WiFi download speeds due to MIMO. It really is nearly 2x faster than my iPad 4. Upload speeds are only slightly improved.

2. Aetherhole macrumors member

It is a bit cooler temperature, color-wise. Anandtech.com's review of this shows it, too. So, you're not the only one! It is pushing around 7000k as opposed to the industry standard of 6500k. It is "less" accurate in that regard.

But, not everyone minds, sometimes cooler color temps provide more "pop". Most store-bought televisions push a cooler temperature (even like 8500k - 10,000k), because of that.

3. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

4. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

yea that

5. JGWolven macrumors regular

6. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Is the retina mini the iPad in the North?

7. kalt thread starter macrumors regular

i wonder why apple doesn't settle on a specific value and keep it the same between all their devices' screen on all models.

my iphone is a bit warmer as well.

8. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

I like to think the rMini is the Tyroin Lannister.

9. Aetherhole macrumors member

I think it's partially, or maybe moreso, to do with the display manufacturers and the variances on their part. At least for the hardware side of things. Calibration is usually done via software, but since there's likely a decent amount of variance between one display to another, they cannot implement a "one-calibration-fix-all" type thing. Maybe we'll see a more warmer temp come out of a different manufacturer's display, like Samsung or whoever else makes them for the iPad Air.