iPad mini iPad mini retina IGZO or a-si display

Discussion in 'iPad' started by inboxami, Nov 26, 2013.

1. inboxami, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

inboxami macrumors newbie

is there any way to know if a ipad mini retina has IGZO (not IGNO, sorry) or a-si display? is there any diference between both?

thanks in advanced,

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I thought Apple was only using IGNO.

If they are using a different technology, I suppose the only way to find out is to take it apart and see how the manufacturer is.

3. inboxami, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

inboxami thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm fairly certain it's IGZO, not IGNO. And, no, no way to tell looking at an Apple box what brand components were used to make the unit.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're right, when I was responding to the OP, IGNO didn't look right, but I went along and double check. :eek:

I did read that apple started pulling in samsung as a display supplier but I'm not sure if that is IGZO but my understanding is that only IGZO provided the low power and cost savings to make a rMini financially feasible

6. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

That's two questions in my eyes:

Is it "low-power" enough? I think that answer is yes - as the other 7" tablets with Samsung displays have long battery life.

Is it "financially feasible"? I'm sure an rMini buyer wouldn't mind spending the extra cash to get the best screen available. And given the price of a rMini compared to other 7" tablets that use different screens, I'd say they're still room for profit. I think this is more a situation where Apple wanted to stay away from Samsung, putting competitive spite over customer satisfaction. It's just a business decision.

That's why I wonder - now that they're bringing Samsung in for displays - what kind will they be?

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Some would. Most wouldn't. That why Apple does what it does.

8. jwblue17 macrumors newbie

From what I have read, it does not seem the Mini has an IGZO.

There is not a consensus.

9. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not so sure, one of the biggest knocks on the iPads, particularly the mini is the premium you're paying. Buy going with a higher end display Apple risks pricing the mini out of reach.

I really like my rMini, the screen is gorgeous, so why would I want to spend even more money on a retina mini that has a different display panel when the IGZO is great, i.e., what bang for the buck will I realize when the IGZO is great.

11. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I hear you and I agree with you. My point is that Apple is at risk of alienating more customers for shipping a washed out screen. That's the main reason I returned my rMini... To each his own.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

13. Fissure macrumors 6502

14. Bstephens macrumors newbie

Apple sells a lot more Tablets so they have to keep the yield high. I'm sure they will use quantum dot screens when the yield is high enough.