iPad mini iPad mini retina: Is it worth it to return?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Daniel Quell, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Daniel Quell macrumors member

So I recently got an iPad mini with retina display. I turned it on and there is a slight, very slight yellowing directly above the home button extending for about a centimeter out towards the screen. Its much less prominent that many of the people posting pictures and my parents and brother can even see it.

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to try to get a replacement and hopefully get one that isn't worse or simply live with the minor screen discoloration.

In short, is the problem so wide spread that I actually might get a worse iPad mini than before or am I just one of the few unlucky ones?

Thank you for your help.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're happy with it, keep it. If the yellowing bothers you return it.

Only you can discern whether its worth returning. I could be wrong but isn't most of the yellowing occurring because the adhesive used needs to cure further?

3. Daniel Quell thread starter macrumors member

That is generally good advice and I would have exchange is without hesitation if I was closer to an apple store, but I'm about an hour and a half away. This basically means that I'd have to return it through the mail, wait for them to get the iPad and for them to ship a new one. I'd assume that would take about a week and I'm afraid that I'll just end up getting one that is worse.

It's a rather frustrating situation especial because everything else about the tablet is so exceptionally awesome in every way. :confused:

4. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

If "very slight yellowing" bothers you very much than get a new one.

The last thing Apple wants is for their customers to loose sleep over some very slight yellowing ;)

5. Jeans89 macrumors regular

I had my overnight battle with myself whether to keep it or return it. This morning I made the decission to return it. I was planning to use my iPad rMini for several years on a daily basis. It would have been too annoying.

6. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

If I were you I would take the hour and a half drive, return it and open the new iPad right there in the store and play around with it for a while. Make sure you get a perfect one. Make a trip of it, maybe find something fun to do there or on the way.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Great decision. There is no reason to accept issues that bother you. I sure wouldnt. Hope the next one is better and meets your expectations.:)

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Give it a few days w/ decent use & it will probably go away. If not exchange it, sure.

9. saber45 macrumors member

This will NEVER go away. There isn't glue bonding the screen in this iPad. If it bothers you then swap it, you might get used to it but it isn't physically going anywhere.

10. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

People have reported varying degrees of yellow tint on either one side, or the entire screen of the Air and rMini. I bought my Air on launch day, and my wife bought one two days later. Her display looked much more blue overall, and didn't have a yellow tint on the left side. A day later, her screen had a slight yellow tint on the left side, and now my screen looked blue overall! While I haven't looked at her Air much since then, the yellow tint on my Air is present sometimes, and completely absent at other times. MacRumors is my control site for judging the tint.

Why her screen appeared to have an overall blue tint one day, and an overall yellow tint the next is beyond me. I have noticed that turning away from the display for a minute, and looking back doesn't make it appear any different. Completely shutting down the device removes any unevenness, and usually any overall yellow tint when it's turned on again.

If your rMini is functioning well, I'd keep it for another few days. Give yourself enough time to return it, but very slight yellow might stand a chance. ;)

11. WashupDawg macrumors regular

The fact that you have entered a discussion forum to ask about such question means that you need to replace it.

12. Einz macrumors regular

Einz

There might not be glue for the screen, but they used glue almost everywhere else. It could be the gas trapped below the screen from other sources. My Air had a yellow tint along the left edge. I noticed it right away. But after few days the tint went away. I say give a week, if the tint is still there get it exchanged.

13. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

I would keep it and return it before your warranty is up, by then Apple should have all the kinks worked out!

14. snerkler macrumors 6502a

My opinion is that too many people make do with something that is substandard. These things cost a lot of money so if there's a genuine flaw then return it.

Where I think people shouldn't necessarily take them back if it's just a hue/tint issue. We should all know by now that there's several screen manufacturers and each have a slightly different hue or tint. This is not a fault.

I used to prefer the cooler tints as my first 2 iphones had cool tints, and I didn't like my wife's as it had a warmer tint. I've now had an iPad and iphone with a warmer tint and I prefer the warmer tint now. I didn't return any based on this though ;)

15. Daniel Quell thread starter macrumors member

Well, I received my replacement iPad mini retina and just as I feared it has the same problem if not worse than before. I'm going to return it and just not get an iPad this season. Maybe I just have really observant eyes, but this is pretty depressing, but hopefully next year they will work out some of the hardware issues. :(

At any rate thank you for the help. :)

16. snerkler macrumors 6502a

Shame that, it is really poor that there are so many sub par screens. I know it's only the minority but it does seem a too big minority to me.

Incidentally the display on my wife's mini is perfect (barring the lack of gamut), as is my air.

17. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I've done the same too. My second one is still patchy yellow and it's going back and I'm giving up. I hate this about Apple. Samsung, Asus, Amazon all manage to build devices with nice even screens. No idea why it's beyond Apple. VERY disappointed.