iPad iPad Mini Retina or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marty1990, Jul 12, 2014.

  1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Location:
    England
    #1
    So I'm hoping to sell my iPad 3 32GB WiFi for £270 with a case and a stand - made another thread - let me know if this is a bad price.

    The money I get I'm planning to put it towards a new tablet, either a Mini Retina or wait for Google's new offerings.

    My question is though, if I go for an iPad Mini, do I get the current Retina, or hold out 4-ish months and get the supposed Mini Retina 2/iPad Mini 3?

    I got my 3rd gen back in August 2012 and the 4th gen came out just after so I don't want to make the same mistake.
     
  2. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

    FatPuppy

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2012
    #2
    I recommend you the r mini, it is very powerful.
     
  3. ron7624 macrumors 68020

    ron7624

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Location:
    Houston, Texas area
    #3
    Never wait. You could be enjoying the rMini today. Why wait? The current rMini is a powerful magical device with unbelievable battery capabilities. IMO, now is the time to enjoy your tablet. The upgrade will be a fingerprint scanner. I don't need one, do you? The rest of the rumored upgrades are things that you won't be able see or feel.
    Just my 2 centavos.
     
  4. mattg3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2010
    Location:
    ma.
    #4
    True but you never really know what Apple has up its sleeve until release day
     
  5. New Apple macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2012
    Location:
    Kristinestad
    #5
    If u need now, buy now. ( imminent trip to greenland)

    Otherwise wait
    You can get either a better machine
    Either a discounted current retina model

    Why handle apple investors fresh cash ?

    And its not like "there will always be a newer model" this is a matter of 2/3 months. (Apple shareholders and shops owners might be horrified if the current soon old model doesnt gets sold)
     
  6. mtneer macrumors 68020

    mtneer

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    #6
    Apple, unlike some of its competitors, has been very predictable with its releases and price drops on older models. So, unless you are in dire need of one now, it maybe worth it to wait for the newer model. Even if the new model does not impress, the price drops on the current model may make it worthwhile to wait too.
     
  7. ron7624 macrumors 68020

    ron7624

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Location:
    Houston, Texas area
    #7
    Again I say:
    You could be enjoying the rMini today. Why wait?
    It doesn't matter if the next model has a super duper addition, you are still going without for 4 months. Upgrade to the newer model then. Your resale value is very high.
    Price it out by the cost of entertainment you will get per month. How much do you pay for cable per month, or how much you pay to go to the movies for 2 hours of entertainment?
    The cost of using the iPad each month will be much less money even if you sell the one you buy currently, then sell it to buy the latest model. The monthly cost will be very low compared to other forms of entertainment.
     
  8. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2014
    Location:
    === Nowheresville ===
    #8
    I'd go for the rMini, too.

    Normally I'd jump on the iBandwagon and get the latest iPad but for the first time I'm going to keep my rMini because for the sheer size and portability it does everything I pretty much want it to.

    Other than a rumoured TouchID inclusion I can't see what Apple are going to change that'll make the rMini 2 a "hold on and wait."
     
  9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

    s2mikey

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2013
    Location:
    Upstate, NY
    #9
    Waiting sucks. Life is too short. Buy what you want and enjoy it now. And that's that!;)
     
  10. Infinite Jest macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2011
    Location:
    Harrisonburg, Va
    #10
    iPad Mini Retina or wait?

    I seem to be finding a lot of used retina minis for cheap locally (Ie craigslist, for instance I bought the 32GB rmini I'm using now a few days ago for $270); you may want to look into that.
     
  11. Barhen macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2013
    #11
    I wouldnt wait for the next gen. it will only be slighty faster and maybe have the new touchID. Not a huge step up. The current Retina mini is very good. should last until R.mini 3 at the very least where they will most likely add a lot of new tech/designs.
     
  12. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Location:
    England
    #12
    Okay, I'm not sure what to do now, haha.

    I know the next version is supposedly going to have the Touch ID, bur rumours suggest a RAM increase and the inevitable faster CPU.

    One thing that bugged me with the 3 is the lack of RAM.

    If the next version is only going to be a MINOR spec bump, so Touch ID, same amount of RAM, minor increase in speed, then I'll get it now.

    Otherwise I'll wait.
     
  13. Rodster macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    May 15, 2007
    #13
    The 3 has the same amount of ram as the Air...1GB. It was the iPad 2 that has 512MB.

    If you buy now do keep in mind that it's possible Apple could move the current rMini into the original Mini's spot and will probably sell at $299. I'd rather wait the extra 3 months to find out. Besides I figure if i'm going to spend $399 now, i'd rather spend it on the 3rd gen Mini and pay $0 for the upgrade. ;)
     
  14. alongdingdong macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2014
    #14
    Dude seriously this question is asked every freaking day.. You can search and find at least 200 topics of other soft eggs asked the exact same question.
     
  15. Serban Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #15
    Wait, you already have an iPad. So wait for more Ram and touchid
     
  16. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #16
    The new iPads probably won't see the light of day until September/October. Maybe a tad sooner since apple doesn't have any new MBPs in the pipeline thanks to intel's delay of the Broadwell chipset.

    Can you wait 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 months?

    Personally, I really like my rMini and its a great machine, fast powerful and has great battery life. It all boils down to do you want to enjoy the smaller tablet with a gorgeous screen now, or do you want to wait a few months in the hopes that apple will add more features and/or improve on it.
     
  17. recoil80 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2014
    #17
    Yes, Apple is very predictable with its releases but the bottom line is that the price of an iPad (and iPhone of course) doesn't change for 12 months, unless you find some special deals.
    So the best time to buy an Apple product is right after it hits the shelves.
    Of course you can buy the rMini now and enjoy it, but you could have bought it at the same price 9 months ago, so if you waited till now, why not waiting for another 3 months and see what happens.

    If you can have it at a discount price of course its a whole different story :)
     
  18. Night Spring macrumors G5

    Night Spring

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    #18
    Why sell the iPad 3 now? Hold on to it until the new iPads are announced. Then you'll have a tablet while you are waiting for the new one.
     
  19. sideshow23bob macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #19
    I'd maybe get a used one now, but preferably I'd wait the 3 or so months for the refresh to lessen regret and have latest features/design.
     
  20. Th3taJ macrumors member

    Th3taJ

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2014
    Location:
    Milford, NH
    #20
    I was once a Google Representative at Best Buy before I migrated to Apple products. It was through that experience that I decided to make the change and to this day I will choose any iPad over Android tablets for a few reasons. If you're already a member of the Apple ecosystem, an iPad is your best option for obvious reasons and the iPad Mini with Retina Display is an awesome little device. :) As far waiting for a newer model, I don't really have answer there. Based on prior updates of the iPad mini, is it really worth the wait? That's really up to you.
     

Share This Page