iPad mini iPad Mini Retina Power Button Wiggle/Loose/Slight Play

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BNHabs, Nov 22, 2013.

1. BNHabs macrumors regular

For those who have the Retina iPad Mini - does your power button have a little wiggle/room to play if you push it left to right?

Mine has a little and the two display models I saw do.

How about you guys? Is this considered a defect or not an issue?

2. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i had a cellular model one that i ended up returning. not bc of that issue, but it did have the issue you are talking about. I have a wifi one now and no play in the button at all. out of the 4 i bought, only 1 had that problem. Not sure if it's really a problem or not?

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I have a 32GB Space Gray wifi rMini. My power button has the wiggle disease. My original mini's really didn't move around from what I remember.

All that said, after first noticing it, I really don't care at this point.

4. MLAM macrumors regular

My first Air had a loose ish power button, the replacement is better but still has the tiniest of play if you specifically move it but I am not even worrying about it.

My 5s is spot with Zero play, my old 5 had a looser power button but it never bothered me enough to go to Apple to get a replacement, in the end it got replaced anyway due to a Camera fault, from what I recall the replacement had no issues.

5. cliffster82 macrumors regular

Ugh. I keep trying to look this issue up, never getting a definitive answer. My iPad air has the loose power switch. I talked to support and she said it is not normal. But there's so many of them out there that are loose but work fine..I don't know whether to take it in. It's a hassle as there's no Apple store within 2.5 hours.

My only real concern is, does this loose button mean that it could break in the future or not? If someone could tell me that it's just as solid and durable even if it has play then I'd forget it. My worst nightmare would be for it to break on day 366 of owning it.

6. GoingDark macrumors 6502

There's another thread about this exact issue here, and the consensus is that it's not necessarily "normal" but it is very common and doesn't actually cause any problems.

For the record, my rMini has the super loose/wiggly power button.

7. terminator-jq macrumors regular

My retina iPad mini has the same issue. There is little to no play side to side, but there is a fair amount of wiggle back and forth. My original non retina mini had tight buttons all around, so the wiggle power button was a little surprising and disappointing to me.

I tried returning the iPad the day after I got it, but the Mac store would not take it back. They said as long as the actual button was functional, there was nothing they could do.

3 weeks later, I hardly notice the wiggle anymore. I'll gladly take a wiggly button over dead pixels, or image retention.

8. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

The issue is with the user who wiggles buttons instead of just pushing them. Fix the user. It's all in your head. There's a movie where some guy learned to stop worrying and love the A-bomb... and you OCD about some buttons.

9. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

My rMini had this issue. And was quickly returned for an Air.

10. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Mine wiggles left to right. I exchanged an Air and it was perfectly tight.

But the screen is nice so I could really care less since I'm getting a cover that wake/sleeps its with the magnet.

11. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

My iPhone 5 has this "issue." My father's iPhone has this issue. So does the iPhone 5's I've seen in the Apple Store. I would vouch for the 5S having the same problem but I don't know, I haven't paid attention. Anyway, with that said, I think it's just something that nearly all the new products suffer from. Nothing to worry about :)

12. Lengi macrumors newbie

Covered by warranty

My power button rattles whenever I set it down on a slightly hard surface and has a huge amount of give, I talked to apple and they said it might not be properly seated and could cause issues. Apparently they consider this under warranty so they're sending me a box for "Power - does not turn off".

13. exizeo macrumors regular

iPad 3, my home bunker is sunken in. Like maybe 3/4 mm down from flush to rest of the front. I can definitely feel it when I run my finger over it.