Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Todd36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Ipad Crashing?

Purchased an iPad Air (cellular) last year but returned it (twice) due to the constant Safari crashes. In my case all the logs said insufficient memory with only a few tabs open. No games or apps running.
I purchased a new iPad Air 2 weeks ago, and while the Safari crashing problem appears to be fixed, I would like to purchase a mini Retina 2 (cellular) as it is not only substantially cheaper, but more portable. Will the mini Retina 2 crash like my iPad Air 1, or have recent updates fixed the Safari crashing problem that forced me to return my original Air?
Many thanks!

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
If the webpages you visit are too heavy then 1 GB RAM of iPad Minis will get filled up easily. Hence Safari crash.

Apple wants you to upgrade to 2 GB iPad Air 2 this year or wait for next year's Mini 4 which may have 2 GB RAM as well.

You cannot do anything about it. Clearly a hardware limitation and Apple being a miser in upgrading RAM in their models.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
My mini 2 definitely crash on some pages, mainly facebook and some other heavy sites, it takes a while however... but overall it is not constantly crashing in most pages. I dont know how often and in what sites did you have the problem.

Todd36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Thanks Sanke, I was afraid it would still happen, but my frugal side was hoping that it would have been fixed.
I agree it was (and is) a cheap move on Apple's part to cheap out on the Ram.

----------

The site I needed it for the most is probably considered heavy, and would crash as many times as I would visit it (20 times in as many minutes if I attempted to log back in). I did not try blocking cookies from other websites, (thanks for the suggestion) however I only had one website open at the time and even tried shutting down other running apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.