All iPads iPad mini retina screen creaking noise

Discussion in 'iPad' started by psychonaut, Nov 18, 2013.

1. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

So I am already booked with apple to see what they say about this but I'd like to see if any of you have ever encountered this with any of your iPads.

Just took delivery of my iPad mini with retina cellular model and when holding the iPad and pressing on the screen near the cellular antenna (upper left / center) I can hear a creaking noise. It almost sounds like the method for attaching the screen to the body (adhesive?) is not fully glued down. Its way more audible when holding the mini in landscape mode.

It will also be interesting to see if apple has replacements or if I will have to wait for a repair/replacement as I'd assume refurbs are not used as replacements yet.

Thanks for any insight you guys can give.

2. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Yep, my second replacement iPad Air (apart from bad bleeding), screen was lifting at the bottom right corner, you could actually feel the difference in depth of home button between left and right side.

3. psychonaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

As an update to my original post on this. Apple looked at it and deemed it defective and needs a replacement however there are no new or replacement units in stock so I guess I will be holding on to this one until something comes in.

Does anyone have experience with how long it usually takes for apple stores to get replacement units in stock? I was advised to also call apple care which I did but they were less than helpful stating I would need to ship mine back first and get in the back of the line for a new unit which could take a few weeks.

Kinda bummed that it came defective out of the box but oh well :(

4. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I'd return it and try and reserve one or pick one up some place else.