iPad mini iPad Mini Retina screen issue and Apple ID problem. What should I do?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BreastyMcBreast, Aug 6, 2014.

1. BreastyMcBreast macrumors newbie

Bought an ipad mini last week, brand new. First problem was that when I opened up the box and set it up it kept saying someone else's Apple ID info had to be entered even though it was BRAND NEW not refurbished. Called Apple and they said "We plead the fifth" as to whether or not they gave out a refurbished one and claimed it was new. Eventually we got it working though.

Now the screen is going haywire! If I hover my phone over the screen it actually registers random touches. And even when I am not it still does tons of random stuff like open and close. I restart it and it works for a few minutes before breaking again. What should I do?

YouTube video demonstrating attached: http://youtu.be/3NUCU7tuHcg

2. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

3. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

where did you buy it, was it shrink wrapped? Sounds like its faulty regardless so just return it and get a replacement.

4. BreastyMcBreast thread starter macrumors newbie

Pentagon City Apple Store in Arlington, VA. I ordered it online for pickup. Total cost $420-something dollars.

5. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Do a complete factory restore and if it doesn't fix the issue make a Genius Bar appointment (saves hanging around) and take it in. They should be able to swap it out for you.

6. BreastyMcBreast thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there an option to factory reset it without hooking it up to iTunes?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Settings > General > Reset > Erase all contents and settings

8. BreastyMcBreast thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. I managed to reset it and start over. Downloaded a few apps and in particular the Weather Channel app that was giving me so many problems before. The problem reappeared. So I uninstalled the Weather app and reinstalled it again. So far the problem is gone...should I still go to app store?

9. 1981d macrumors 6502

Yes, iPads don't behave like that normally. There is prolly something wrong with yours and there's a good chance it will creep up again.

10. BreastyMcBreast thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Took it to the Apple Store, they swapped it out no questions asked when I showed them the video. Frustrating problem but great customer service.