iPad mini iPad mini Retina Screen Retention or is it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by adamfozzy, Dec 4, 2013.

1. adamfozzy macrumors newbie

I am onto my second ipad mini retina. The first had dust under the screen. The second does not show traits of image retention (I tried test) but the icons in my home row can be seen through the keyboard when I go to search. Like I said, it does not it and any other times with any other keyboard. Even the similar sark keyboard in the ebay app. I can take a screen grab of it so it makes me think it is a software issue. It does it in landscape and portrait and 100% of the time regardless of how long I have been on he home screen.

Thoughts anyone? I have a replacement to on the way but may keep this one if it can be solved.

Attached Files:

2. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I see nothing wrong with that screen, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

3. adamfozzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Look at the space bar and you will see the App Store icon, settings, calendar etc.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You can't show image retention in a screenshot taken from the iPad itself. Try taking a picture of your iPad.

5. adamfozzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I can see it on the screen grab.

6. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Isn't that just the transparencies used by IOS 7?

7. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Yeah that's transparencies. Use control center and you can kinda of see through that too

8. deeddawg, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

deeddawg macrumors 604

Yep, that means its NOT the physical screen.

A screen grab is a copy of the image data being sent to the display hardware and cannot exhibit anything related to the physical .

9. adamfozzy thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it is transparencies as it doesn't do it on my other iPad in iOS 7. Can anyone confirm whether it does it on your devices?

10. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You can't take a screen shot of a screen defect. What you're seeing is intentional transparency behind the keyboard, bug or not.

11. adamfozzy thread starter macrumors newbie

It is transparencies after all. When I slide the down the apps behind move. Problem solved. Thanks everyone.

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

As others have stated, you can't take a screen grab to show image retention. That's like scratching your iPhone screen with a key, then expecting that scratch to how up on a screen grab.

13. scottw324 macrumors 6502

It isn't image retention. The keyboard is very slightly transparent. I can see it on mine.

If you have some apps in the row just above the dock you can watch as you move the keyboard up and down and see them in the other keys. Remove all the apps from the dock and you will see nothing in the space bar.

14. zbarvian macrumors 68010

This alarms me. You don't even understand what a simple screenshot is (hint: it's not a camera photo of your screen), and you're running image retention tests and ordering up replacements. Stop reading the neurotic threads in here and just use the lovely device you ponied up $450 for.

15. Phone Junky, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

If there were no MacRumors, half of the returns/exchanges would never happen.

16. adamfozzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I ordered the replacement because it has a graze across the standby button. I do know what a screenshot is thank you as I made it clear in my first post. I only did the image retention test after seeing the apps through the keyboard. I think its a little hypocritical of you to say this when you are reading and replying to the threads.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

zbarvian: perhaps you misunderstood the OP, see above quote.

18. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

How else would Apple stock up their refurb store with quality machines?