iPad mini iPad Mini Retina sensor inside home button? Pic attached

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JBryan84, Nov 21, 2013.

1. JBryan84 macrumors regular

Has anyone else noticed the sensor that is inside the home button on the new Mini retina? I noticed it almost immediately when looking at the right angle with the right light. I googled and searched the forums and couldn't find anyone that has mentioned what this is. I'm not sure if the iPad Air also has this sensor but comparing it to my original Mini it's obvious that there is some kind of sensor built into the home button. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. pat park macrumors 6502a

3. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

This.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Not seeing it on mine. What kind of lighting conditions were you in when you first saw it?

5. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

6. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Brilliant! :D

7. royinla14, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

royinla14 macrumors regular

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You win MacRumors for the day.

9. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

I would be interested in knowing what this is as well. Anybody else?

10. pixelements macrumors regular

pixelements

Lol i can see that on my rMini too o_O wtf is that?

11. JBryan84 thread starter macrumors regular

First saw it in my kitchen with the all the lights on above me. Just look for it and you'll see it. Odd that no one has noticed it or knows what it's for.

12. scupking macrumors 6502a

13. g35 macrumors 6502a

Could it be a notification light? Do you have any other iOS devices you can compare it to other than the iPad mini you mentioned, under the same lighting conditions?

14. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

That isn't a metal ring around the home button is it?

Perhaps it's a prototype that got sent out by accident, perhaps with the beginnings of the touchID hardware?

:eek:

15. RVijay007 macrumors member

Actually, i have it on my non-retina mini as well from a year ago.

16. EZB macrumors newbie

17. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Ha, thanks.

I just got home and checked my retina mini, and I can't see that on my home button.

18. Fissure macrumors 6502

I have a rMini, I definetly don't have that, weird.

19. scupking macrumors 6502a

That button is completely different. Has what looks like a metal ring and thicker white square.

20. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Looks like your rMini was re-wrapped at the Apple Store because someone bought it and replaced the home screen button with another just to screw around with the next buyer and returned it to the Apple Store with the "Eh, not that great."

:rolleyes:

21. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Yeah, OP, I can't say this is a normal home button at all. Also, that ring around the home seems mighty odd. One would think this is a prototype home button, but I honestly can't put a finger on what it is.

22. JBryan84 thread starter macrumors regular

The ring around the home button looks that way because I have the MIME glass screen protector installed. It's makes the home button a little recessed looking but has curved edges and is by far the best screen protector I've had for any ipad I've owned. But as far as the sensor thing I compared it with my original ipad mini and that definitely does not have the same sensor. I know my iphone 5 did not have that sensor and on my 5s because of the Touch ID and sapphire glass it definitely doesn't have the same looking sensor. So no one else has noticed this sensor, should I take it into an Apple Store and ask them what they say?

23. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Well, that makes perfect sense. I didn't account for a screen protector! I'm gonna have to look into that when I get an rMini next year, thanks!

Taking it to the Apple Store could be something to do, but I hesitate personally from that because those geniuses may not know what that is if it is indeed prototype components and may simply decide to switch it out or do nothing at all, leaving you with no answers as to what it is. If your mini is functioning perfectly, I would suggest sending an email out to Apple directly, maybe a few execs, maybe some folks on the production team, etc., just because I'm not sure the AppleCare department would have any answers to this one. It's possible that no one in Apple would give any answers, too, but this is merely a suggestion! :)

24. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Here's the thing to keep in mind - if that was a sensor and it was normal, the Silver/White iPad mini would have a black dot on the home button. The white paint would block the sensor. It would be similar to how the light sensor is black on the white iPhone, it would be blocked by the white.

Something odd with your device. Take it back.

25. JBryan84 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm on hold with apple care right now and the rep put me on hold and is looking into it. I'll keep you all posted.