iPad mini iPad Mini Retina shipping from Taiwan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by benna, Nov 21, 2013.

1. benna macrumors regular

Hey everyone

Not sure if it's been discussed before but I just received my dispatch notification for the 16 GB iPad Mini Retina. AFAIK, Apple ships from Shenzhen in China, but mine just shipped from Taiwan.

Is this a different manufacturing plant? Something to do with the Gamut issues?

Attached Files:

2. netnative macrumors regular

netnative

Interesting. According to news reports, the Taiwanese companies Wistron and Compal Communications were contracted by Apple for the production of the iPhone 5c and the iPad mini. Apparently, the many scandals about the working conditions at the Foxconn facility in Shenzhen contributed to the decision. The color gamut issue is not related to the quality of manufacturing but to the limitations of the IGZO display chosen by Apple.

3. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

Yeah. It is because of the gamuts. China was running low gamuts, which is why there is so few gamuts in the iPad Mini (thus fewer gamuts for you to look at). Taiwan had some extra gamuts so Apple asked them to start making iPads to increase the gamuts in the iPad Mini (so you have more gamuts to look at).

Gamuts.

4. 33man macrumors regular

Hey just got mine shipped from TW but looking to TNat tracking it comes from Shenzhen China.

Don't worry ;)