iPad Mini Retina: Too small for gaming or just big enough?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HarryWarden, Feb 16, 2014.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

I am looking to upgrade my iPad and can't decide whether to get the iPad Mini w/Retina or the iPad Air. I like to play games on my iPad, specifically adventure games like the Broken Sword series and Monkey Island, The Walking Dead.Question is: Is the Mini too small to play such games enjoyably?

2. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

I love my Retina Mini, I don't find it too small for anything.

3. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

If you have an Apple Store nearby, I'd recommend going to check out which one you like better.

I feel the iPad mini with retina should be the normal size, the iPad Air feels too big to me.

4. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I play games on my iPad mini retina and it's great. I don't find it small at all. And it's really comfortable to hold because it's light and not that big.

5. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I've tried the mini, but it's too small for me...I play stuff like RageHD, a couple of pool games and puzzle stuff like Tetris.

The iPad is just right for me, but as posted above, get to a store or Apple retailer and compare them...you might find the mini is fine.

6. nfl46 macrumors 604

7. leebroath, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i think its perfect for games, bigger than iPhone but not heavy like full sized iPad.

9. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Most of the games are OK. However, some are designed for 9.7" screens; most importantly, XCOM: enemy unknown. It has just too small text on the rMini screen. If you plan to play that game a LOT, I'd go for the Air. If you don't, go for the Mini, you won't regret it.

10. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I have both sizes, The iPad 4 and the iPad mini with Retina Display. Love using them both. The iPad mini though is much lighter and since it is smaller a lot easier to carry around. My gaming experience on either device has been pretty much the same.

11. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I had the iPad 2. Just bought the Mini Retina this week. Don't miss the size at all! The mini is the perfect size tablet.

12. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I enjoy the mini for gaming. Lately I've been playing classics like Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City and San Andreas on it. Also Crazy Taxi was free last week so I picked that up as well.

13. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Perfect size. I have the Air too and it's quite a bit too heavy for gaming.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like it, its a nicely sized for gaming, though I don't do a lot of it. My kids use it and prefer the rMini that I have over my iPhone.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree. The mini is just too small for too many things IMO. The 9.7 inch iPad is a perfect size for a tablet.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

I think the mini is a good size for gaming. I used to try and game on my galaxy tab 2 10.1 and it wasn't comfortable at all. It's too big and too heavy to hold for long stretches. The mini is a good size and it's light. There is enough real estate to be able to see what you are doing. I think it depends on the game though. Some games lend themselves to smaller screens like the iPhone but some do not. Especially ones with on screen controls as it's just too cramped.

----------

I find Tetris better on smaller screens, even the mini is too big for me. I prefer it on something like the iPhone.

----------

The only thing I'd say the bigger iPad is better for in my experience is watching videos. The mini is good enough for everything else.

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

full size iPad is perfect for game like Infinity Blade series because you will be able to find hidden items but with mini you could miss something because it is small and hard to see. :apple:

18. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

recently I have hardly used my Air unless my rMini was needing a charge. Been playing Hearthstone on the rMini and IB3. Still prefer the Air for Netflix, Logmein and RDP etc but the rMini is satisfying my on the go gaming requirements.

19. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

I beat GTA San Andreas on my Retina Mini. Works well. For me it's the perfect size - really the only thing I want is to sometimes have a bit more canvas in Paper by 53.

20. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

My rMini is great for Smash Hit and other games.