Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
Had a chance to trade in my current iPad Mini Retina for a new iPad Air 2 at my local Simply Mac store for $200 after trade in for my iPM and I almost jumped on the deal. But after handling the iPad Air 2...I wasn't really "blown away" by the increased screen size, the amazing lightness or the improved speed of operation...in fact I was thinking it was still quite a bit heavier than my Mini, and there even seemed to be a bit of a lag in opening apps, loading pages, etc.

Is it just me...or have the words of Steve Jobs been proven wrong when he said there was no real market for a 7" iPad? To me...the "advantages" of the iPad Air are not evident enough to motivate me to switch.

Anybody else in this quandary? :confused:

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
You're all over the place. So here's some quick answers.

1) Why put in money for a trade if you don't like what youre trading for

2) Its not about getting whats "newer", its about getting what suits you best

3) The Air 2's purpose isn't to make people "blown away", its to be a tablet

4) Your opinions on speed/size/lag seems to be subconscious. It doesnt seem you want to upgrade

5) Small tablet markets exist. That market is just shrining as phones get larger.

6) Personal opinions on product purchases cant be determined by online strangers

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
No need to grill the person they just want input. I tried air2 and liked it but went back to rmini. Not enough of a difference for me and my uses.

Deal was similar, between 10% and trade in, I'd be paying 200 and change to move up. I prefer the small tablet but it is personal preference. And on my 16gb I hardly use any space but it feels criminal to buy a 16gb at this point. I'll just ride mine out

Even with 6+ I'm not itching for 9.7" again (haven't since ipad3)

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
I love this discussion because I am in exactly the same boat.

Last year's retina iPad mini was incredible because it had the same internals as the iPad Air, at $100 cheaper.

This year, the Air gets new internals and the mini doesn't. Apple have reinserted a true "flagship" into the iPad product line, and that is why we're even having this discussion. We want the top of the line specs, but we love the smaller form factor.

Now, this is not my upgrade year for iPad, I just got the retina mini last year and an iPhone 6 this year, so I don't have to make a decision just yet, but if Apple maintain this 5s/5c-type division in their iPad line, I might go back to the Air next year.

Sorry for this rambling post.

Happy Thanksgiving!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
By the way hey OP! I recognize you from HoFo.

We go ways back in the Sony ericcson days w810i /k790. Might have even sold you a phone !

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I can only answer by saying I have an rMini and a first gen Air.
I love the first gen air, it's a fab machine, but the mini is in my hand right now. The Air is just too big (for me) to be portable. Unless you need the added horsepower of the new Air, I think the iPad Retina Mini 2 will be the perfect machine for us to use, especially with your listed concerns. To me the weight difference is significant as well, though the Air 2 is a bit lighter than the Air 1.

poncekim

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
I'm in a similar boat. Currently own the ipad 4 128 and the retina mini. I use the mini most of the time even at home bc it's easier to hold. I think it's the ideal size for most situations, except to watch movies. I keep the 4 around to watch movies on planes and trips.

However, ever since I got a MacBook Air, I'm finding the web browsing and response of my iPads feels sluggish now compared to the air. iOS 8 doesn't help either. Both my iPads are now old tech and I'm being tempted by the air 2. I went to best buy and compared it to the air. Wow, the ram makes a huge difference with lots of tabs open.

Curse apple for forcing me to consider the air again. If the mini 3 had the same specs as the air 2, I would trade in my mini in a heartbeat. I guess apple knows what it's doing - I am actually considering a form factor I find less desirable due to performance. They really do want to make the air the flagship ipad and force people into the higher priced model.

I am going to get the air 2 on Black Friday and use it till January and decide what to keep.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
rmini to a air2

I had them all and ended up with the rmini. Its great. I got wrapped up in the new air2 specs so i bought one. Its great, fast and has touch id, and very light. I have decided to keep them both. The rmini is great for on the go, and in bed. The air2 is great for heavy web surfing and videos. I have the rmini in the Zagg Rugged Book and am waiting for the Rugged Book to come out for the air2. It makes the pad more useable and is good to use as a stand.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Hmmm, I'm eyeing doubling up with an Air 2. I can't see giving up my Mini because it fits in the back pocket of my jeans and also into a coat pocket easily. So portable. And so easy to hold one handed to read a book or the paper on the subway.

But I suspect that the Air 2 is going to make surfing the web a lot better. I tend to go back and forth between a few tabs while chatting on basketball blogs (I need to reference stats often on another site and then jump back to the comment section of a blog). I think the Air 2 would make that a much better experience.

So should I do both? And if I'm going to do this, I should do it now and get the $50 gift card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.