iPad Mini Retina vs. iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zirosky, Nov 11, 2013.

1. zirosky macrumors regular

Hello everybody!

I don't know what to do. I have to choose between an iPad Mini and an iPAd Air both Wifi only (I don't want to pay another data plan) and 32Gb.

But I really don't know what to do... I had the iPad Retina (4th ten) but I sold it some months ago because I wasn't using it too much, since I have also a Macbook Air 13" and an iPhone 5. It was too "heavy" and I didn't feel comfortable when using it to chat and send messages for exemple.

But the iPad Air is lighter so maybe I could use it more, even if it is still large to keep it and chat comfortably. The iPad Mini, I've never had one and the new one is good because it has the same configuration of the iPad Air, but I have some doubt that the screen could bee too small and finally I won't use it because I have the iPhone. So right now i'm 60% Mini and 40% Air. What do you suggest?

Than you!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My advise is to check both iPads out at your local apple store (or where ever they are sold). If you're worried that the mini is too small, the only way to effectively determine that issue is to play with one.

Personally, I like the smaller form factor but YMMV depending on your usage and criteria.

3. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I use it to check mails, Safari, listen music and sometimes play some games

4. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

One is bigger. The other is smaller. Pick the one you like better. Random internet strangers can't help you.

5. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I can only tell you that I've taken my Air outside more in the past week, than I ever did in 6 months with my iPad 4. I also have a Mini, but that's history now. The Air is larger than the Mini, but its lighter weigh and smaller dimensions have made it portable for me.

6. urkel, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013

urkel macrumors 68030

Sure it can. The opinion of people who have actual experience with the products offers different perspectives which often times can result in more critical thought before making a final decision. The guy didnt ask for us to make his decision for him, he asked for opinions. Honestly, I've never understood why people go on discussion boards and try to discourage discussions.

I had last gens Mini that I loved but now have the Air and I have to say that I feel like it's still too big. That isn't a dig against the Air because it's a fantastic machine, but if size is a major reason you stopped using your iPad 4 due then the Air may not change that feeling for you.

Personally, I prefer the iPad Mini form factor and now that the iPad Mini has a Retina Screen, A7, reasonable pricing and better casing then I think this addresses every complaint about the Mini and makes it the one that most people will prefer.

7. flatfoot99 Guest

Exactly... you have to see them in person in the store. I went yesterday and tried them. I felt the mini is too small and the air was a little too big. I would like something in the middle. The mini is ideal if you need to travel a lot with it. The air is better if it stays at home. I went with the air...

8. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Opinions on what? Which size each of us prefer for our own use that has no bearing or relevance on someone else's preference/use? That type of opinion is about as useful as a yellow-tinted iPad.

9. urkel macrumors 68030

So you've never read a review before?

When you read a "professional" review then they give tons of facts about the new shiny product that they got before everyone else, bit these reviews tend to lack the true "user experience" since their review was formulated over an extremely limited amount of time with FREE hardware. So the best places to sift through real world opinions then the best place to go are Amazon reviews or message boards because these are people who actually used the products and purchased them with their own money. As consumers, we aren't as unique as we think so our usage patterns and opinions doesnt actually vary that much. And to a user that isn't commited to a decision yet then these opinions, regardless of anonymity, are very useful.

The problem, as you've pointed out, is that the loudest people on message boards are the people who live on the internet just to be d-bags.

10. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

If the Air and mini were different in any way other than size, I could understand asking for opinions. The difference in size is 100% personal preference and no amount of reviews or opinions will be able to help make a decision. The person has to try the devices and decide for themselves.

Not to mention the mini retina isn't even out yet, making this even more pointless.

11. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Don't buy any. You had an iPad 4 before and sold it because you weren't using it much. If you needed it or it genuinely filled a gap in your lifestyle then you would have got past the weight issue. When I sold my 4, the first thing I did was buy a mini to tide me over to the new releases because I use an iPad a lot and have a real need for one.

12. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly... I never took with me the iPad Retina because of its weight... Maybe I will be able to bring always with me the Mini... it weight as a bottle of water?! :rolleyes:

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

I would not count on seeing the ipad mini retina...and least not in sufficient quantities.

14. hajime macrumors 68030

I am considering to buy either one. How is the typing experience between the mini retina and the air? Are the keys in the virtual keyboard on the mini retina too small to type correctly? In case I buy an external keyboard, which ipad would be better?

15. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

For those with small hands, the mini might be fine to type on. For those with large hands, maybe not.

On the Air, smaller hands may find the keys too spaced out. Larger hands may find it splendid.

See how pointless this is? Just go try them out.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I suggest you buy the Mini and see if you use it a lot.

17. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

My next version might be the new mini . . . I have an iPad 3, and really do not plan on upgrading to the Air. But when I look at them, the mini is pretty attractive. I rarely type on my iPad, and use it for travel entertainment. The Mini is great for iBook.

18. zirosky thread starter macrumors regular

How comfortable is the Mini for watching movies or tv (occasionally)?

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It's comfortable for me, but I have no way of knowing if it will be comfortable for you. Buy one and try it out. If you don't like it, get the big one.

20. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Absolutely fine. You adapt to the smaller screen pretty quickly.

21. satchmo macrumors 68000

I had a mini and loved the size, but sold it because I kept having to zoom up to read text articles.

I have wondered if the retina iPad mini may alleviate this 'problem'.

I suspect it won't make that much of a difference. Sure it'll be sharper but the actual size of type will still be too small for those with poorer eyesight.

22. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I found the iPad 2 was a bit like that at times. The switch to the iPad 4 with retina made a massive difference because the sharper text is much more legible. Will be interesting to see how the retina mini screen holds up.

23. caoimhe macrumors member

caoimhe

I don't think the retina mini would make much of a difference for me in having to zoom in to read web pages. When I look at the 1st gen mini in the shops it looks fantastic, and only when I use it at home to read web pages with small fonts do I have a problem. Games (the ones I play), typing, books, videos are all grand on the mini for me.

I'm typing this on an Air and lovely as the retina display is I still end up zooming in to read some sites even with the bigger screen! The fonts are still tiny, it's only whether I see the pixels in them.

However I think most people will hold an iPad further than 6" from their eyes!

24. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

Could somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but with the retina iPad Mini PPI being equal to the iPhone's PPI of 326, does that equate into no discernible difference in viewing quality when using iPhone apps on the iPad Mini? e.g. I have used a few iPhone-only apps on the iPad 2 and 3 and the lower PPI made the apps looks fuzzy and pixelated. So..on the iPad Mini will they essentially look like a giant iPhone?

25. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

The iPad mini's screen is far and away better than the screen that's on the iPad Air.