Resolved iPad mini Retina Wi-Fi Havoc

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iamMacPerson, Jul 23, 2014.

1. iamMacPerson, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

So I purchased my iPad mini Retina new from Best Buy about a month ago. I noticed that shortly after getting the iPad, I was having Wi-Fi issues with it; basically what would happen is the iPad would be loading something, video, website, application, song, and it would randomly stop. It wouldn't disconnect from the network immediately however after a few minutes of waiting it would. It would stop connecting to the internet like it lost its IP Address, and the only way to correct it was to go into Settings>General>Reset>Reset Networking Settings.

I thought it would be caused by an old backup of my first gen mini, so I wiped it back to factory settings and set up as new. No luck. After trying it multiple times I returned the iPad to Best Buy within the 14 day return policy and got a new one.

I knew from day one with the new one not to even bother putting my data back. Fine. I set it up as new and synced it to iTunes to pull down Music and some apps and that was it. Everything seemed fine for a few weeks then last week it returned. This week it has gotten worse. It is unfortunate as I had a similar issue with my iPhone 5, however the issues disappeared when I got my iPhone 5s.

Thing is with my iPhone 5 it was random. With the iPad it happens every 15-40 minutes. I haven't even been able to get through an TV episode on Netflix without the connection dropping once or twice. Plus whenever it happens I launch the Ookla SpeedTest app to check and make sure it isn't my internet. Most of the time it returns with an error, either it will make a quick connection to the internet at really high speeds (40+Mbps), then stall and return with a download speed test between 5 and 15Mbps and when it runs the upload speed it'll come back with 0Mbps or it will popup with a latency or network connection error and prompt me to try again later. I'll run the same test my iPhone afterwards and pull my standard 30Mbps down, 4 up (give or take 3Mbps). I have the iPad try again it I will get a latency error or connection error.

Nothing else will work other then a Reset Network Settings. Turn Wi-Fi off then back on, Airplane mode off/on, Reboot, hard Reset, nothing. The only other time it will automatically reconnect to the network is if I let it sit long enough; after about 30-45 minutes, yes, minutes it will connect back to the network like nothing ever happened.

Is there anything I can try? I know if I call Apple I will get one of two responses, either "Reset your router and set it back up" or "take it in to an Apple Store". Problem is, if this issue is anything like the iPhone 5 issues, it won't occur on unprotected networks (which is all the stores have), only WPA2 networks. And if I tell them that, they will say to leave my network unprotected and see if that fixes it. That is not a fix, it leaves my network unsecured which I will not have.

2. x5tuu macrumors member

Sounds like a problem with dynamic ip's on your router table ... You could try setting a static ip for your ipad and connecting to this to see if the problem still occurs

I had something similar with my MBA recently

3. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

What router are you using, and what makes you certain that this isn't a router problem? I was with you on suspecting the iPad until you mentioned that you had a similar problem with your old iPhone 5 (and another iPad mini).

4. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yeah it turned out to be something with my 2nd Extreme that I use for printing. Because I was closer to that one it was bouncing from that one and it screwed up the IP address. I ended up powering down all networking equipment and reseting it all. No issues as of yet, but I'm gonna get rid of the 2nd router eventually when I can move the printer closer to the main router.

AirPort Extreme 6th Gen with 802.11ac networking. Yeah my old iPhone 5 was a weird one, nothing helped. It turned out to be the 2nd router like I was explaining above.

Thank you both for your help! It is greatly appreciated.