iPad mini Ipad mini retina WIFI problems

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wlossw, Sep 26, 2014.

1. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

So I just wanted to show you guys some proof of IOS 8.02 with terrible wi-fi on the retina mini ipad...

I tested my iphone 6 and mini retina at the same time one after the other, in the same place of my house... attached are the results...

It is obvious that the wifi on the retina is completely terrible... my home internet connections is 120/20.... so I should have decent performance all around...

I have tried the retina on multiple wifi networks with router by linksys, netgear and asus and all result in poor performance. This particular test was on a Linksys ea4200v2...

I have tried reseting the mini, reseting the network settings, turing on and off airplane mode, problem persists.

Here's hoping they fix it soon...

Attached Files:

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Having the same issue with my ipad air since I upgraded to ios8 (now at 8.0.2). Saw on Apple's discussion forums that a temporary workaround is to switch your router to 2.4Ghz instead of 5G if that's an option for you. Haven't tried it yet myself but I will since this update has completely ruined my ipad air. Can't even browse the web on it now.

3. wlossw thread starter macrumors 6502a

wlossw

That's not an option for me... I have to use 5ghz as much as possible, there is just to much interference on the 2.4ghz channel in my condo...

I actually have to run 2 routers in 1000sqft to get decent performance as it is :p

1 router is 2.4/5ghz and the other is 5 only... it took me weeks to cover all the dead spots... I'm not going through THAT again lol.

Nevertheless it may be of help to others while we wait on a fix...:D

4. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I am having very inconsistent wifi on my Air. It was terrible after the 8 upgrade
    and has only improved slightly after 8.0.2. All other devices work without problems on my router, only the iPad is an issue. Apple better fix this soon or I am going down to my local store in a very angry mood!

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

No issues with my retina mini nor iPhone 5S with iOS 8. Your case may be true, but your proof would be a lot more convincing if you showed us before and after shots (speed tests run on iOS 7 alongside the shots that you posted).

6. wlossw thread starter macrumors 6502a

wlossw

I'll post something on Monday when I get back from my cottage. I forgot my iPad...

7. TSloper74 macrumors member

The OP hardly needs to provide proof. Go to the Apple community forums and you will see this is not an isolated issue. Many people with the ASUS RT-AC68R or Netgear R7000 (Broadcom AC chipsets) are having this issue on the 5 GHz band with iOS 8 and 8.0.2 when they never had an issue with iOS 7. Apple most likely updated the driver and introduced this issue.

I opened a case on this yesterday with Apple. There are no changes on the user end that will rectify this permanently. The best you can do is switch to 2.4 GHz until the driver is fixed.

8. funkymonkeyboy macrumors regular

Yeah I too have wifi problems on iPad Air and Mini Retina.

But I hooked up to an apple extreme and it's working fine. I think Apple failed to test it on other Wlan routers.

2.4ghz seems to work better than 5ghz band.

Hope Apple sorts this out soon.

9. wlossw thread starter macrumors 6502a

wlossw

10. richardmu macrumors 6502a

My ipad Air is still having WiFi problems on 8.0.2 even after restoring back to factory settings and slowly adding apps. A real pain and still the problems haven't completely gone awAy. Better for sure but nowhere near as good as it as before 8 came along.
    Apple appears to have screwed up big time with this release even if its only for some people, although quite a few if you read the forums.
    What a relief to go back to my Kindle Fire HD which never misses a beat on WiFi wherever I am! Has always been much better with WiFi than any Apple device
    I've owned.