Resolved iPad mini retina will dominate

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NuggetSauce, Oct 30, 2013.

1. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

I'm surprised there are so many threads on the iPad Air. I'm guessing either a lot of people have never used the mini, or they can't wait for it to come out and are getting the iPad Air because it's available first.

I sold my iPad 3 for the mini because the form factor really hit a sweet spot, and the weight made it more inviting to use. It could fit in my jeans and coat pocket. Holding it up with one hand was actually comfortable. Now that it has the same hardware as the regular iPad, but with better ppi, and still $100 cheaper, it's a no brainer. iPad mini retina > iPad Air.

I suspect it will cannibalize iPad Air sales. I'm surprised Apple gave it the same hardware, considering the previous gen iPad Mini did very well with previous gen hardware. To me, having a 1.8" larger screen as the only incentive to buying the iPad Air is not enough.

Now hopefully Apple will do the same thing with the Macbook Air, and give it a retina display and same hardware as the Pro, while maintaining it's lower price.

2. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

Are you trying to convince me or yourself?

3. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Same internals is simple: 64bit on all new devices.

Anyways, I had the iPad -> iPad 2 -> iPad Mini. I'm going back to full size with the Air. I like the Mini for reading books, but anything else I prefer a larger display.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I am currently auctioning 2 leather sleeves; one for the full size iPad, and one for the Mini. They are both from the same company. They are both the same price. The description and auction titles are identical, except for the word Mini.

The Mini auction has had 4x the number of views of the full size.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

They will sell MILLIONS of both.

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I want the retina Mini but so far unknown availability and rumored supply issues are making me second-guess about getting the Air instead. Need to have it before Thanksgiving holiday before I go on vacation (multi-carrier LTE support is pretty much why I want one).

I expect it all boils down on size preference. The iPad Air is a considerable enough trim down from the iPad 2 that it would be a good purchase for a lot of folks.

7. leenak macrumors 68020

I'm going for the Air because I love the screen size of my iPad 2 and want a similar size. The mini is a little too small for my uses.

8. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

The physical screen real estate is worth the extra $100 to a lot of folks.

9. prism macrumors 6502a

I have the Kindle Paperwhite to read books, for everything else, I guess it will be the air.

10. glasshead13 macrumors member

It is not going to cannibalize anything. They are essentially two different markets. Some prefer the full size of the iPad Air, which is going to be an awesome upgrade and sell really well. Others prefer the smaller size and portability of the iPad mini, which is also going to be an awesome upgrade as many people have been waiting specifically for a retina display on the device. People are going to chose both, and both are going to sell really well.

Plus, whichever one you buy, it's money in apples pocket. Do you really think they care if one were to cannibalize sales of the other? They get paid from both devices, I'm sure it's not going to upset them in the slightest.

11. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Not for me. I've never wanted a mini. I want the screen real estate but wanted the smaller bezel. The new lighter size is icing on the cake.

12. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Read a number of users on the very forum switching to the full size from the Mini because they are having some issues with their eyes or they wanted more real estate, and did not take that into consideration when buying the mini. Air is now smaller/lighter and that is a plus not to mention it cost a little more than the Mini.

$399 to $499= $100 difference between the two.

13. dgreene196 macrumors member

I think you're seeing a lot more iPad Air threads than iPad Mini with Retina because one of those will be available readily soon, and one will be hard to come by for the foreseeable future.

It's much more fun to discuss/speculate about a device you can experience for yourself in less than 48 hours.

14. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

iPad mini retina will dominate

Or there are so many threads about the iPad Air because it comes out in less than a week. I'm getting an iPad Air because I think the Mini is too small. I've used one for weeks on end, and I always wished I could have a full sized iPad that looked like the iPad Mini... and that's the iPad Air.

I can't fit an iPad Mini in my jeans or coat pocket, so a smaller tablet isn't any more portable for me. I always carry my bag with me which fits a full sized iPad perfectly. The iPad Air also has a screen that's about 15 square inches bigger than the iPad Mini screen.
    iPad mini retina < iPad Air.

15. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Sweet.... you guys just grab up all theses Airs... I'll take the miniR thank you! :DFits great in my cargo pants and easy to carry aroung.

16. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I'm thinking at the new weight the iPad Air will outsell the mini. I was a mini owner and found the screen too small. While the retina display on the mini will help, it's always nicer to have a bigger screen. The old iPad was simply too heavy for long term comfortable use in one hand. The weight is going to be killer factor on the new iPad air.

17. Macalway macrumors 68000