iPad mini iPad mini screen... btw, no lineups

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Poochi, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Went in to Applestore... NO LINE!

Checked out the screen first hand... impressed. WAY BETTER THAN EXPECTED.

It's not retina, but the pixels are so small when you hold close, normal reading distance it's almost retina. Leaving the iPad on the display it looks retina.

Doesn't bother me one bit... so I picked one up :)

Cheers.

2. Karr271 macrumors regular

Although the screen isn't retina, it's not that bad. im satisfied with the size and quality. I was first in line as i lined up, thankfully as my local apple store ran out of white 16 and 32 models. I was also able to pick up an iPhone 5.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yep! People are clearly exaggerating when the say the screen is terrible! That's ridiculous, even coming from an iPad 3. It could be better but definitely not terrible.

4. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I kind of figured out that the display thing would not be an issue. Just backed up my iPad 2 to iCloud so I'll be ready for the transfer when that brown truck pulls up :)

5. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

You would have to "WANT TO SEE THE PIXELS" to see the pixels.. (literally stare at one spot for eyes to adjust to pixels.. or hold it super close like you are shortsighted lol).

I will say that much.

6. Colin14 macrumors newbie

I currently use an ipad 1 for reading and don't really see any pixels or anything.

im going to be blown away by this screen aren't I?

7. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Very much so.

I think what makes my impression that good was because I went in with ZERO EXPECTATION.

Not sure what my story would be if people have been telling me it's going to look like retina.

Better than expected = pleasant surprise = buy
    Worse than expected = disappointment = pissed off at Apple and walk away :)

Funny how psychology works...

8. identity macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think if someone who has never had a retina iPhone or iPad, won't be missing anything if they get the iPad Mini. If someone is intent on wanting a retina display then they shouldn't get the iPad Mini or wait for the Mini 2.

9. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I came from Retina since iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 3, Retina Macbook Pro.

I bought a mini. It looks retina enough, only see pixels when I want to see it by holding it very close and stare at a character.

Hope that helps.

10. identity macrumors 6502

Yeah, I came from the all those minus the iPhone 5 and rMBP. I already knew the screen isn't going to be retina but I can get over it. Like you said, the screen isn't that bad.

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I don't know. I had the opposite reaction from you. I immediately noticed that the screen was better than the iPad 2, but text in any reading app like iBooks was a lot more pixelated than what I'm used to on retina devices. I tried to reach a few pages to see how my eyes would feel and I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it. Spoiled by retina.

12. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

But you KNOW a retina version is coming out. That's probably the biggest complaint Apple is getting about the device. Why waste the money just because it's new.

13. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I wouldn't doubt that :)

I haven't used iPad 2 since iPad 3, and I have been reading lots. iPad mini seems fine unless I am purposely digging in to look at the pixels close.

----------

It's better for reading 12 hours in a day on weekends... for grad school. Feels a lot nicer to hold and screen looks retina enough from my normal reading distance.

Also, when retina comes out, I will just buy another one and pass this mini down. No big deal :)

14. bigboar macrumors 6502

well, then you go get the new one when it comes out.. I mean, I dont understand this line of thinking at all. ELECTRONICS CONSTANTLY GET UPDATED and if everyone said they were waiting until it has this or that, nothing would ever sell!!!!

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Exactly this. Spending $329 for a year worth of use is worth it to me..plus I will sell it before the new one. It is not like a $1600 mac and then a year later buying a new one. We know retina will be in an air eventually....still not a reason to not get one.

16. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

To take your point a step further, people will keep on ADDING NEW "THIS AND THAT" as the time goes buy, so it will NEVER be good enough :)

17. bigboar macrumors 6502

exactly!!!

18. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I certainly can see the pixels from a normal viewing distance. However it doesn't bother me. I'm moving from an iPad 2 to the Mini strictly for the physical dimensions. I was happy using my iPad 2 so the Mini display is an upgrade and one that I'm happy with.

19. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I am going to play with it (reading for school lol) this weekend. If it meets my needs I don't think I will be touching a regular sized iPad ever again until there is a compelling reason why I should.

Mini might be it for my mobile needs... for everything else there is the retina macbook pro and iPhone 5 :)

20. bogatyr macrumors 65816

This is how it looks for me too. Just tried a few technical manuals from Cisco in GoodReader. Display size is perfect - easy to read, not too small. The Nook Tablet/Color I tried in 7" was too small to be usable.

Can't wait for my cellular model to come. Gonna give this base 16GB to the GF or kid after I get that one.

21. matthijst macrumors regular

Go buy some glasses.
    The resolution is 4 times as low as the iPad 3/4.

If you read the comments here you'd think Apple is crazy to even bother making retina displays.

22. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Duh!! If you gave up an iPad 1 or 2 because the retina display was so much better on the 3, which it was, why go buy a mini with an inferior screen just to have a mini when you know the screen isn't what you want when you know in 6 months or so a better version is coming. Yeah you can recycle it for the newer version, but there are people out there that don't have the money to recycle frequently.

23. Exino macrumors member

Mine just arrived from UPS. It looks good, if not a little bit washed out compared to my iPhone 5. That's about my only issue. Obviously the pixel density doesn't match. I wish it was a little more saturated, that's about it.

24. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I soooo wish the Cellular model was coming out today. At least my wife's Wi-Fi only Mini should be arriving later today (damn you UPS), but I'll be lucky if she lets me hold it for more than a few seconds. :)

I just hope UPS doesn't screw us like they did with the iPhone 5. Was "On Truck For Delivery" all through launch day, all through the weekend, and didn't deliver until that Monday morning with no status updates all weekend!! Needless to say, we were pissed.

As it is, we must be the last apt complex on our driver's route because our stuff always comes around 6-7pm.

25. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Wow, Can't believe I just read the word... 'Duh'

Just wow