iPad Mini Screen Ghosting

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ElectronGuru, Sep 22, 2013.

1. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

With the anniversary of the first gen Mini approaching, its a good time to review hardware for any workmanship/materials type issues. I have one that isn't easy to see, so here's how to find it in case you have it as well:

1) set screen to max brightness
    2) visit a web page with lots of black (http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/ works)
    3) leave the page up/still for over a minute, tap if it dims
    4) visit a web page with lots of gray*

If you have this issue, the contrast from the text and images in step 2 will show prominently in step 4. For subtler examples, invert your colors for a time. To 'erase' the effect, leave your screen off for several minutes.

*in ios6 with Google already loaded, just click/type in the search field, the white will turn to a textured gray that works nicely for this purpose

2. jprmercado macrumors member

I haven't tried the method you decribed, but I'm getting ghosting on my Mini too. If I'm in the Settings app too long, then exit to the home scree , I can see the faint outlines of the Settings app in the home screen. :(

3. ElectronGuru thread starter macrumors 65816

Update:

Sent my pad into apple with their service box program. They reviewed the unit with the procedure described above and sent me a brand new replacement with a 90 day warranty (14 months total). Upon restoring and upgrading to ios7, it even offered full installation of Pages, iPhoto, etc.

Very nice result, highly recommended.